Struggling With A Decision

First off sorry for the long post but...

I recently bought a preowned 112 Fortrex from a member for my 2009 20X3. When the trolling motor arrive I realized it was a 52" shaft not a 45" as advertised, the person that sold it told me explained that it came on his new boat a couple years ago and was listed as a 45". I believe he really didn't know it was a 52" and didn't want to ship it back so he offered a suggestion to make it right and I felt it was fair.

My struggle is that I originally planned to change the shaft to a 45" but found out that the 52" mount is bigger than the 45" and the trolling motor won't fit right with a shaft change. I decided to install the motor on my boat and have everything setup and on the boat but I just haven't drilled the mounting holes.
    I've always had Motorguides and with the lower profile of the gator mount the Minn Kota looks huge on the front of the boat to me. Being here in Florida I also worry about fishing shallow waters with the longer shaft.

Asking for opinions on what other Triton owners think especially from guys that have a 52" on their boat... should I pull the trigger or just try to find a 45"?
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

2. Member
    Find what you want.

Call or message Jones Trolling Motor in Texarkana, he's the moderator on the Trolling Motor and Electronics board. I think you can cut the shaft to the length you want with the Ultrex. I run a 52 on my TRX with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Call or message Jones Trolling Motor in Texarkana, he's the moderator on the Trolling Motor and Electronics board. I think you can cut the shaft to the length you want with the Ultrex. I run a 52 on my TRX with no problem.
    Thanks for the reply, I did pose the question on that board and he was the one that gave me the info about the motor not stowing correctly on the 52" mount with the shorter shaft. I fish water sometimes that is 2'-3' deep so I'm worried if it will be difficult to manage the longer shaft.

I'd like to hear from others that have a 52" on thier Triton.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    Do you ever fish big water......Great Lakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Do you ever fish big water......Great Lakes?
    I do fish open water on Toho, Kissimmee and Okeechobee at different times of the year.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

Than I would stick with the 52, that's what most of us are running in the northwest. We could be fishing a shallow flat one minute than in 25 feet the next.

8. Member
    Unless I’m missing something why can’t you just pick the shaft up? Just adjust it when you get to shallower water?

I just replaced my motorguide with a 52" Ultrex. When I picked it up yesterday I thought it looked HUGE on there. Took it out for the first time today and really like it so far.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

Thanks for the rsponses guys, I think since I already have the 52" here and the other motor if off I'll go ahead and install it and see if I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ColtonM View Post
    Unless I’m missing something why can’t you just pick the shaft up? Just adjust it when you get to shallower water?
    I can lift it up but will I be able to lift it high enough and I don't want a stripper pole sticking up on the bow of the boat when I fish
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS