Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In dire need of help

On the water in a tournament and motor isn't running right
    Revs up in neutral fine but when put in gear it won't rev up
    It is a 94 200hp merc XRi serial 0g105525
    What could it be

2. Banned
    Any beeps?
    Saw this happen to a newer Optimax on a tournament blast off; in this case it was the "motor in gear" switch, for lack of a better name. The computer thought the motor was still in neutral, and wouldn't allow it to rev up when he hit the throttle.

3. Member
    many things fuel starvation stator problem advance problem just to name a few,fuel lines been changed ???? filter on mtr ??? hope this helped ya ,gone to TULSA nephew in 2nd in central open
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Fuel filter has been changed and only ran maybe 3-4 times. It ran fine a few weeks ago when we used it last now it will barely get out of its own way

5. Banned
    Wish I had more ideas other than what I posted, the only other thing I could add would be gelled ethanol blend fuel from sitting, but then I don't think it would rev normally in neutral.
    The motor in the example I posted above was doing the EXACT same thing as your motor is.
    We all idled out of a cove for the blast-off; he hit the throttle to take off and nothing, just a fast idle. The guy suspected what it was (electronics genius) , pulled the shifter cover off and fixed it on the water.

I'm not sure what the deal is but now the thing is running fine so hopefully it holds oit for the weekend

7. Banned
    Good luck!

8. Member
    Have your stator checked out.

I have a carbed Mercury and it does the same thing if it's sat for a while. It takes for ever to plane out first thing then runs perfect the rest of the day. It has to stay tilted up in the garage and I think it gets oil in the carbs and has to clear it out before it runs good.

10. Member
    Check all your battery connections.

I am wondering if I don't have a fuel hose breaking down, it ran perfect all day Saturday. will idle fine will rev up fine out of gear but when a load is put on it is when it was bogging down.
    Sunday it started up great idled to let it warm up for about 10 min and when I took off it planed out fine but bogged a bit, I let off the gas and hit it again and it picked right back up just fine. on the way back in at the end of the day after sitting all day not running while I was fishing I took off it planned out good then bogged again let off hit the gas and it picked up. did that twice with in about a mile run I had back to the ramp.
    its an older boat and motor and I see where the fuel line from the boat to the motor is fairly new hose(the grey stuff) but I know all the lines inside on the tanks are the old rubber hose. I'm wondering if the old rubber lines are starting to break down so I'm going to look into that first and hope that is my issue

12. Member
    see if fuel hose under vapor separator feels soft and see if top hat filter above pump is restricted on back side will be black from hose degrade, be carefull with orings,HE HELD 2ND AT BASS CENTRAL OPEN , taught him how to catch um
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

think I'm just going to go through all of the fuel lines and change them just to be on the safe side.
    now just got to find the line somewhere I wont have to take out a loan to do it. boat has twin 25 gal tanks so its got a lot of line under there

14. Member

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    think I'm just going to go through all of the fuel lines and change them just to be on the safe side.
    now just got to find the line somewhere I wont have to take out a loan to do it. boat has twin 25 gal tanks so its got a lot of line under there
    I'd order from European Marine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    I'm off to the pit of misery

17. Member
    Did you solve the problem?
    Kinda having same issue
    Thanks

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dse123069 View Post
    Did you solve the problem?
    Kinda having same issue
    Thanks
    Best to start a new topic with your engine info, serial number, and precise description of problem.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Member

20. Banned
    Although it would be nice to hear back from the OP. We're kinda left hanging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast