Thread: Minn-kota TM

Minn-kota TM

I have a MK 101 Maxxum 42". How do you measure the shaft length. Mine is either 42 or 45 but I don't get either measurements when I use a tape measure. Thanks. I am upgradeing to 112 Ultrex and want to see if I can use a 52" on my 04 20x.

2. Member
    It use to be 42" or about 40 3/4" now they are 43 3/4" which is 45. If you are planning on fishing big water then 52 will be the way to go. Did the 42 Max come out the water when you fished windy conditions? If so 52" if not 45". the reason they say 45" is because it is measured from the pion gear that is screwed to the shaft.

3. Member
    I had no problems with the maxxum 42 but I also have a North River jet boat and if I buy a 52 Ultrex I can change it between boats as needed. Do you have an Ultrex,if so does it make noise when using it with the foot pedal or just when you use the remote steering. Thanks.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mason View Post
    I had no problems with the maxxum 42 but I also have a North River jet boat and if I buy a 52 Ultrex I can change it between boats as needed. Do you have an Ultrex,if so does it make noise when using it with the foot pedal or just when you use the remote steering. Thanks.
    Both the 42" Maxxum and the 45" Fortrex uses a shaft that is 43 3/4" long. The shaft on a 45" Ultrex is 48" and on a 52" is 53". There is a 3" depth collar adjustment above the steering module which means if you drop the shaft all the way down, it will lack 3" going to the steering module. This gives you 45" of shaft from the top of the steering module on the 45" motor and 50" on the same measurement on the 52". 5" isn't much of a difference. Now, the issue is the length of the mount when stowed. the long mount on the 52" shaft is apx 4" longer at the base and the arm, making the total mount about 8" longer than the standard/45" mount. Hope this helps your decision. BTW, I do have the Ultrex and it does make a motor noise when turning, but it's not loud and you do get use to it. I don't for one minute think that it will spook fish.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Mypartner had an Ulterra and the noise that it made when in use was not as bad as always having to look where you were heading. With the maxxum I know where I am heading w/o looking. Thanks for the info.