PS22 temporary/ semi permanent install and wire management

Want to use this for ice fishing too. Anyone have any suggestions for this type of set up? Ethernet cable/ power is to short to reach trolling motor. Was thinking of building a rotating mount to attach to rod holder rail.
    Quick disconnect wiring?
    Stratos 385xf.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Member
    Da ducer apparatus. Might be worth looking at.

Funny you post this as I spent a good portion of yesterday morning looking into different options. The cheapest, easiest and least permanent solution I could think of is using a Ram mount suction cup (I think single will work fine, but they have a double option as well) to attach to the gunnel, with a 6" Ram arm connected to a Ram pipe clamp. For the actual transducer mount/stick I was thinking 1-1/4 aluminum rod or 1-1/4 PVC conduit, with a 90 elbow/extension at the top as a handle. I planned to have a slightly wider collar set around the 1-1/4 pipe that the ram mount would clamp to, allowing the 1-1/4 pipe to rotate freely inside. To control height adjustment I originally though of installing couplings above and below the wider collar, but I think an adjustable bike seat post clamp would be better as it would allow more flexible adjustment if needed.

For wiring, I am going to use a cigarette lighter to simply plug into a 12v plug. For your application you'd probably just want an extension wire with quick disconnects. For the ethernet, you could get a Garmin Marine coupling and run an extension wire to bow to plug into.

I have yet to try this out, but I really like the idea of the suction cup as it allows movement of the stick throughout the boat without any holes drilled. The only issue might be the width of the cup as it's 3.33" in diameter, so it might be a tight fit on some gunnels. I didn't even consider Ram mounts until I saw some shallow water anchor pin systems use them. I'm not sure if the 1" ball will be strong enough, but I don't see why not as there really shouldn't be too much pressure at trolling motor speeds.

Seat post clamp - https://www.amazon.com/SeatPost-Alum...seatpost+clamp
    Ethernet coupling - https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10...ernet+coupling

Prior to this I also considered using a Ram Light-Speed rod holder with a pipe inside a collar, but this wouldn't have been as sturdy IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wakepics; 04-22-2018 at 08:30 AM.

4. Member
    Thanks guys.
    I have looked at the da ducer; seems overkill for the application and don't like drilling holes in my fiberglass.
    BroCraft has one that's an interesting concept. Would like to find those plastic fittings.
    I do like wakepics concept. 1" ball is rated for 5 lbs. Guessing that is frictional resistance, not failure strength. 5 mph is 7.33 ft/s. Is the PS 22 (100ft range forward) effective at that speed? What is the limit for effectiveness mph?
    I think combining 2- rail mounts and 1 double socket gives about 8" in length, which I need 7 to clear the boat.
    I'm giving up my search but will talk to some expert commercial model makers about this. If they got nothing ordering the RAM parts.
    Will share some images when done.

Let me know if you find out a better solution - I'm still looking for options myself. Turns out you can use the 1.5" ball Ram mounts with the suction cup base, you just have to buy the cup and the ball base separately. This would let you use the 9" arm vs the 6" arm on the 1" ball setup. Also, you could use the double suction cup base if you wanted additional security.

# RAM-238U - 1.5" base to mount to either options below.
    # RAP-224-1U - single suction cup
    # RAM-B-189B-FRO1U - double suction cup

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wakepics View Post
    Let me know if you find out a better solution - I'm still looking for options myself. Turns out you can use the 1.5" ball Ram mounts with the suction cup base, you just have to buy the cup and the ball base separately. This would let you use the 9" arm vs the 6" arm on the 1" ball setup. Also, you could use the double suction cup base if you wanted additional security.

# RAM-238U - 1.5" base to mount to either options below.
    # RAP-224-1U - single suction cup
    # RAM-B-189B-FRO1U - double suction cup
    I have a ram mounted 83/200 Lowrance transducer on a 60" conduit pipe (transducer runs about 15"deep)in the front of my deep v Lund pretty much as you described in your first post,mine is 1.5" bases with a 6" coupler. When trolling if I don't have the coupler extremely tight the pipe will work back. I'd use 1.5" bases minimum.

7. Member
    I've ordered the 1.5" Ram parts. I think this will make for easy use and stow away when making major moves on the water.
    Any suggestions for the 5 ft metal pole? I'm finding ALUM 1.25" OD is $6-20/ ft.

For alternate ideas I looked in the world of piping and fencing. Pipe hangers, split ring hangers and strut clamps could be a cheap down and dirty solution.
    If I had more patience/ time would design and machine a take off of McMaster P/N 4765T24. They also have a number of tube connectors.

8. Member
    http://fishingspecialties.com/shop?olsPage=products