A Difference not talked about much

Well guys, I finally have my own new Axioms in and working on the install now. Had a first impression I thought worthy of sharing.

I remember that feeling I had when I picked up my first TRUE quality knife and that first TRUE quality hand too and that first HIGH quality rifle. It's hard to describe and if you don't actually have some history with hardware like that you may not notice the difference as much. But for those of us (most here I suspect) that do know, when you pick up that WELL MADE QUALITY tool/knife/part/firearm/etc. the reaction is "WOW". You get a level of comfort using these items as well; knowing they will do their job, knowing they will last, knowing you don't have to buy a replacement anytime soon if ever.

Well, from the boxes and packaging, to the cables and connectors, to the units themselves, that is EXACTLY how I felt opening up my new Raymarine Axioms! I'm NOT trying to compare others to a cheap tool from China or something. I'm just saying, there IS a difference and it IS VERY noticeable! The salt water heritage (rougher conditions, equipment often used for more years, etc.) of Raymarine is VERY evident in the quality of every part I have looked at and inspected. If I still had some of my hardware form my previous graphs I would be very tempted to take some pics side by side. But even that would not do justice and not interested in starting a brand war.

Just wanted to put that out there guys. If you get a chance to go by a store that has Raymarine and others, find something as simple as a "Y" cable used to split sonar signals, or the standard mounting bracket, or something like that. You won't even have to hold them next to each other; look at the other brand, then go pick up the one from Raymarine. Get ready for "WOW". Everything I have looked at so far is like a HD version of what others use.

Just my impression, my two cents. Hope it's useful to someone out there.

Tight Lines All!!!

2. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar

3. Member
    Agreed. Even compared to another saltwater favorite, Simrad, the execution difference is evident. Similar to consumer vs. professional grade.

4. Member
    Hopefully we can get you some 1’ shading soon

Quote Originally Posted by shewstring View Post
    Agreed. Even compared to another saltwater favorite, Simrad, the execution difference is evident. Similar to consumer vs. professional grade.

5. Member
    That would be great. Thanks Curt.

Very Helpful, thinking of what I want on my Next boat, Really like the pictures I see when watching Timmy Horton Outdoors especially when he's doing his electronics shows. Love the ease of use and the details seen on the Raymarine.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

7. Member
    I agree, the quality is great but imaging performance in my opinion is lacking. Like 10 years behind lacking.

8. Member
    Dang smally, I know you had a bad experience and I respect that even though it is the COMPLETE opposite of mine, but that statement is such a stretch as to strain credibility.

Our prior discussion of imaging and different results as well as different analysis of results I think was a good one and productive for readers.

So, for the record, MY OPINION (since that is 99.999% of everything out here) IS:
    - If your actual images were to remotely approach that description then it was 100% setup AND operated incorrectly (for the record I doubt that was the case & would assume your skill level higher than my own)
    - My guess is simply an exaggeration like so many others on this site (for ALL brands) are fond of doing.

Also for the record, my personal results, analysis, impressions, etc., as discussed a few times elsewhere, have been EXCELLENT with Axiom, clearly SUPERIOR to others and why I switched away from BOTH the other major brands.

Best to all!

9. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    Smally it’s time to stop trolling... That is a ridiculous comment to say it’s 10 years behind. You’ve already shown your credibility is lacking by saying you know what size and exact species a fish is.... time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    I agree, the quality is great but imaging performance in my opinion is lacking. Like 10 years behind lacking.