2013 gmc Sierra 1500 programmers

I have a 2013 gmc sierra 1500 4x4, 5.3 with 3.42.
    gears. Runs great, but when I hook a trailer or my 21x to it, it's a dog. Sucks gas and struggles to pull up hills.
    Is there any programmers, that will help with the towing and fuel mileage.
    Thanks for comments, but please only comment if you have 1st hand experience with a particular programmer. Thanks

2. Member
    The 3.42 rear end shouldn't have any problems with the hills and they all get bad gas millage with a boat hooked up. Heck, you would cry if you were towing with a Tundra....talk about a truck that loves some fuel. Anyway, if that truck is a dog pulling up hill you may have bigger problems than a programmer can correct. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

There are some programmers but the fuel mileage to decrease the AFM is going to decrease it's going to get worse fuel mileage but it's going to tow better

4. Member
    I keep mine in Tow/Haul mode and I drive it aggressively to get it to pull. My older 2001 with a 4 speed automatic and 6.0 pulls much better than the newer truck. I've always felt the same thing pulling a boat in the hills

5. Member
    Mine will shift down(sometimes twice), but then kick ass on the hills.

May need a bigger truck then. I have same and yes it uses fuel when towing but for the hills around here and towing my boat with the 5.3 and 3.42 rear is just fine.

A programmer ain't gonna do squat. You want more power run a kit of N20 or start making power with that LS other ways.

7. Member
    Fuel mileage when towing? Can you be more specific? Approx. mpg?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Fuel mileage when towing? Can you be more specific? Approx. mpg?
    Yes, I usually pull at 65mph,avg mpg is 11.
    Truck pulls descent,but my last truck was a 05 gmc sierra 5.3,3.42 gears, pulled like a beast,14mpg,and hills didn't effect the speed near as bad as with this 2013 sierra

Quote Originally Posted by johnpscott1 View Post
    I keep in Tow/Haul mode
    Makes a world of difference
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowakezone View Post
    Yes, I usually pull at 65mph,avg mpg is 11.
    Truck pulls descent,but my last truck was a 05 gmc sierra 5.3,3.42 gears, pulled like a beast,14mpg,and hills didn't effect the speed near as bad as with this 2013 sierra
    The 13 has more to and tq than your 05....it should pull better. Same rearend?
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowakezone View Post
    I have a 2013 gmc sierra 1500 4x4, 5.3 with 3.42.
    gears. Runs great, but when I hook a trailer or my 21x to it, it's a dog. Sucks gas and struggles to pull up hills.
    Is there any programmers, that will help with the towing and fuel mileage.
    Thanks for comments, but please only comment if you have 1st hand experience with a particular programmer. Thanks
    Instead of a programmer, I would have the ECM reprogrammed by a tuner. In GA you can call Vegeance racing in Cummings GA or LSXperts in Ball Ground GA. Either one does a great job tuning the ECM. You'll have better results with a tuner over a programmer.

12. Member
    You running stock tire size?

13. Member
    Yes, stock tires

14. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I have a 15 Tahoe. I think its the same engine etc. I keep mine in tow/haul with the trailer. It's whats recommended in the manual. I guess it's there for a reason.
    I don't have any power issues but my boat is a BCB Sabre single axel.

2015 is a different generation engine. Very different
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

16. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    ok. Didn't know that.

17. Member
    Black bear performance programmers are the ones I see recommended the most chevy/GM forums.

18. Member
    I say put a blower on it.... Then let all the diesel guys be jealous of your power and fuel economy when not towing...

19. Member
    Save your money. Programmer won't do much of anything by itself. Need new exhaust, new air intake as well. Spend a few grand it will help but not a ton. Either get a 2014 or newer Sierra or step into an ecoboost. I actually did both (had a 2012 sierra) went to a 2014 same motor and rear....night and day difference. Bought a new Lariat EB even w/ 3.31 rear and it is better yet! Trade your truck in for a used F150 EB (prob similar money then adding all that stuff to current truck). Pull any bass boat through the hills without hunting for gears at less than 2k RPM. MPG pulling with any gas engine sucks so not going to get that

20. Member
    Disclaimer (I did that stuff to my 2012) helped a little but not worth it. 2014 on up 5.3 is an entirely different animal than previous 5.3