2018 175hp Mercury Pro XS High Idle

I repowerd my boat with a new 2018 Mercury Pro XS 175hp. I did the proper break in and only have 4 hours on the motor. I have tooken the boat out 2 times since the break in and every time after proper warm up after arriving at my first spot the motor idles real high compared to normal. I don't have exact RPM's but it noticeably high and when you shift into gear idle goes back down. After you turn the motor off and fish a while it never does it again. Not sure what's going on

Thanks

Welcome to BBC!

It sounds like a TPS issue but their are other possibilities. When you turn the key on and start up the motor, where is your throttle set? Do you have a hotfoot?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    not sure where the throttle is set, when I high idle goes away after the first stop the idle seems normal and works correctly. Yes I do have a hoot foot. It doesn't make sense why it only does it after the first blast off after that it idles fine.

If you are resting your foot (or anything else) on the hot foot and depressing it even slightly when you turn the key on to start the motor, it will mess with your TPS signal. Make sure you hot foot has nothing blocking it and that it returns to upright EVERY time.

BTW, shifting it into gear at a high idle can and will damage the LU. Don’t do that...

What motor did you have before the repower?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Ok I make sure nothing is near the hot foot but I don't think that's it cause it only happens after the first run, I'll keep monitoring it and if it keeps doing it I'll take it to the dealer. Yes I agree shifting while high idle can cause damage and I didn't like shifting into gear from now on I just turn the motor off. I had a 150hp EFI and repowered to to 175 on an 02 basscat pantera classic. Thanks for your help

6. Member
    Wouldn't be surprised if your hotfoot isn't set up or adjusted properly. From the FAQ at top of forum - Hotfoot Adjustment/Setup
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Banned
    Also check to make sure the throttle cable is routed properly. No sharp bends or loops. Want nice sweeping turns. If it's routed with tight bends it can bind.

8. Member
    Check your hot foot and tighten the spring. I have same motor and mine does the same thing once in a while. With your foot just pull the pedal back after that first run. It feels like it's already the whole way up on mine, but just pulling on it a little bit will make mine settle down. It's almost like my spring has to stretch out a bit or something.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

9. Member
    sounds like HF or linkage adjustment needed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    If the new engine was rigged by a dealer I'd take it back and have them correct the issue - it's under warranty.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Thanks for the tip it ended up being the same issue you have, for some reason just have to pull back on the hot foot and it goes away, ill be adjusting my hot foot to see if I can correct it

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    If the new engine was rigged by a dealer I'd take it back and have them correct the issue - it's under warranty.
    X2

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see Forum Announcements for Required Info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kizzane View Post
    Thanks for the tip it ended up being the same issue you have, for some reason just have to pull back on the hot foot and it goes away, ill be adjusting my hot foot to see if I can correct it
    You're welcome. Good luck.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS