New To Kayaking: Considering Purchase

Really hyped about adding a kayak for fishing small lakes and rivers around my home and we have a lot of them. Am 65 years old, 210# and 6' tall. Due to a number of reasons one of the main is ease of launch and load so weight is a consideration. Have looked at a number of kayaks and local dealer has the Ascend 128 T marked down drastically. But my concern is the "yak" weighs 95#'s but has a lot of great features and at 12' long need to register it and might be a bit long for a 6' pickup bed. Kind of defeats the purpose for what I want one for. Have two boats already, one for large lakes, second for medium lakes and a third for kayak for small out of the way lakes.

However during the cold water periods of spring and fall will fish river mouth areas and shoreline for walleyes on the some of major lakes close to....my home also

http://crowwingkayaks.com/crow-wing-kayaks-models.html

These are mfg locally, can be customized a bit. Here is what I like about them/

1)Length 9' 2" don't need to be registered in Minnesota
    2) Light in weight around 50#'s
    3) Claim to be stable
    4) Price point around $600-$700 fro the 1040 models
    5) Can try them out once the ice leaves

See one disadvantage

1) The seat, looks to me to be a compromise from a sit in to a sit on.

Do any of you more experienced see anything I missed.

Thanks for your help.......

Here are a couple of others am considering

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/produ...Kayak&i=312485

https://vibekayaks.com/products/vibe...angler-package

This one looks to be awesome:

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...-Preorder.html
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 04-20-2018 at 05:06 AM.

2. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Best advice before you spend a dime is to go to a dealer that will let you demo some kayaks and have someone there that can help. The kayak for sale boards on facebook are full of one year old kayaks and you may be able to find a deal there on a great kayak once you figure out what you want. Good luck!

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

3. Member
    F150 very good advice thanks, have the itch and hope to hear from others

the 12' kayak wouldn't be a big deal with a 6' bed because the tail gait will add a couple more feet, just strap it in straight, add a red flag. i fish out of a old town vapor sit in kayak, its not as good for fishing as a sit on top, but i use mine early and late, and sitting in is much drier to fish splashing and much warmer without the wind. just what i have to offer you is you may want waterproof pants or waders. it is quite common for people to use kayaks to get places then jump out and fish as it is more natural to stand
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Fishy AM thanks, agree about putting it in the pick up, red flag, tail gate up. Appealing, price and fish-ability, reviews say it is stable too. 95# defeats the reason to get a kayak some of the lakes would fish it could be challenging....

It is been fun to look and hear some of the thoughts already owners. There is a nice Wilderness 120 Pungo sit in kayak on craigslist. 12' light in weight, reviews say it is stable and fast selling at half the price of new.

Thanks
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 04-22-2018 at 06:50 AM.

6. Member
    I took my kayak out for the first time today. I was also excited to go out with it but it's not really super easy to fish out of it. I got soaked from the water from the paddle and he thing blows all over the place. I just have a cheap lifetime tamarack angler I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable on a river or a big lake on a kayak maybe after I get used to it I'll feel different. Definitely try it before you buy it.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

I currently own the Ascend 128T, it is a bit of a lumbering beast but I am 6'2" and 230....and it's extremely stable. I've stood up and fished out of it plenty of times. With a kayak cart that fits into the scupper holes, it is very easy to handle. I throw it into the back of my truck (6' bed) and strap it down. Never had any issues.

8. Member
    Good advice...a good paddle, good idea. Deciding between the Pesacador Pro 12 or the Ascend 128T. A seasoned yakker shared with me to go with a 12'. 1Stindoor is the Ascend 128T, good paddling kayak...thanks

It paddles well...but you're never going to get anywhere terribly fast. With the size and stability comes a trade off for speed and maneuverability. Dollar for dollar, it's one of the best buys for a good fishing kayak. You can spend more for more features and options. But this is a very affordable first kayak with plenty of options if you want to add additional things later on. Wiring for lights is included in the new versions. I've built a rod holder out of PVC pipe that fits well. I've also added rails and a stand up bar from yakattack.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

10. Member
    You could always go with a truck bed extender. They fit in a trailer hitch mount receiver. Several youtube videos on how to make them work. I have a real heavy yak so use a utility trailer to get where I am going then use a C-tug Trax cart to go on trails ect.