The Minn-Kota ULTERRA

Am I correct the built in tranducer is only for 2D sonar??

If this is correct, is there any way to install the transducer
    that comes w/the Elite 7 that is good for both sonar and down imaging.

Any brackets on the market yet???? LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

2. Member
    That is correct.

And why the hell would you want to put Lowrance transducer on it? You lose half the functionality of the unit without a bird....

3. Member
    Precision Sonar is making something and if you do a YouTube search there some videos on guys that have made there own versions.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=844098

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    That is correct.

And why the hell would you want to put Lowrance transducer on it? You lose half the functionality of the unit without a bird....
    Just because I have and use Lowrance. There is an adapter cable for Lowrance, and If I understand correctly, even w/a bird
    you can only get standard sonar, but not Down Imaging w/the built in transducer. Just what I have been told. LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    That is correct.

Those of us that run Lowrance can just buy the non link model and save about $300.00. For the kind of fishing I do I don't think the link features would be used.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    Just because I have and use Lowrance. There is an adapter cable for Lowrance, and If I understand correctly, even w/a bird
    you can only get standard sonar, but not Down Imaging w/the built in transducer. Just what I have been told. LDS

The lost functionality has nothing to do with sonar.

Great Scott - doesn't it make more sense for Lowrange guys to buy MotorGuide since that's what interfaces with their graphs? I'm honestly not sure why people wouldn't want Link. To each his own, I suppose.

7. Member
    My understanding of the longevity and functionality of the 2 brands. Minnkota wins over MG
    As far as the link for following contours and whatever else it does, is not in my needs. Its a shame
    that all TM mfg cant get together on the built in transducer, 2D sonar and down imaging w/the same
    connectors for all brands. Someday it will happen. LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.

8. Member
    I could be wrong since I don't know much about anything other than HB, but my guess would be that the reason there aren't imaging transducers built into the TMs would be that the different brands use different technology for their imaging and the transducers aren't compatible?

Then there's also the issue of imaging transducers being larger than 2D transducers, so it could also be a physical space problem.

I agree though, it would be nice to have imaging built in. I would have bought an imaging unit for my bow then instead of a 2D/GPS unit.