Will I be happy?

I recently upgraded from an old boat to a slightly less old boat... But still relatively old. This boat came entirely bare of electronics and because I stuck with old I had the spare nickles to set it up with some decent electronics of my choice. I'll start by saying I love fishing gizmos, and I have no brand allegiances. Birds, Lowrance and Garmin are like blondes, brunettes and red heads. They're all beautiful. I appreciate functionality and features that help me fish my spots more effectively. That's it.

What I can afford is two finders up front and one at the steering wheel. I have had the chance to use 360 imaging in a buddies boat quite a bit and I love it, so I have already put a Helix 10 G2N Chirp GPS with 360 up front and a Helix 10 G2N mega at the console.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do about the third finder. I do know few certain that it's going at the bow. What I can't decide is if it's going to be another Helix 10, or an EchoMAP Plus 93SV that will serve as a Panoptix ForwardVu unit sometimes, and a regular map and 2d when I'm not needing the Panoptix.

To gain Panoptix, I would be sacrificing the ability to network my two front finders for waypoint sharing, which wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'm sure it would be inconvenient at times. It would also cost more because I'd have to buy the Panoptix transducer.

Another thing that concerns me about Panoptix is that I've simply never had the chance to use it. I've consumed every bit of content that I can find online about it, but I'm still unsure if it will fit my needs or not.

Speaking of needs, here is how I typically fish: I only chase bass. I fish where my boat is typically in 10 to 25 feet of water. Where I expect to use Panoptix would be lakes—or at least spots—that are mostly weed free. What I would hope for is to be able to stop on main lake points, small humps, and small flats with boulders on them, and be able to see if there are smallmouth roaming around on them, and then be able to make casts in the direction of the fish instead of at random.

At first I was absolutely set on a 93SV and a PS22-TR. I would mount the PS22 on the barrel of my trolling motor so as not to be interfered with by that big dopey 360 ducer. But, lately I've been reading on this board that the PS22 might not help me see fish that are swimming tight to the bottom as well as I might hope. It sounds like the PS31 is maybe better at that? I don't know how tight to the bottom these fish truly are. Maybe they're rubbing their bellies on the sand, maybe they're six inches up. I have no idea. It's probably different every day.

If I were to move all the way up to the PS31, I'd be spending $500 more that I barely have, I'd be sacrificing that ability to use the whole set up for ice fishing because I'd be losing Down LiveVu, and I'd be concerned that the trolling motor shaft mount of the PS31 and the 360 ducer would hinder one another by either smashing into each other, or by getting in each other's sonar beam. I see that there is a below the barrel mount for the PS31, but I don't exactly have a lot of room left down their either... And it sure does look awfully exposed.

What the hell should I do here? Panoptix seems like a really really neat and useful fishing tool that I'm extremely tempted to try. However, I'm making trade offs if I decide to go with it. I'd have depth finders that don't communicate with each other. I'm pretty sure I'd be working with lake maps that aren't quite as good as the Humminbird chips (HB has my neck of the woods mapped beautifully). And I'd be spending as much as $1500 more that if I just went with another Helix.

What's the verdict? Helix 10? 93SV with PS22? Or 93SV with PS31? What will make me the happiest at the end of the day.

I guess if I were to try the Garmin set up and decide it wasn't what I wanted, it shouldn't be hard to sell it here on the electronics swapping board.

The Garmin 2d is excellent.

PS22 is great and you will throw the 360 overboard after you use it.

I dont know about Garmin mapping. Other might know if Navionics may work on Garmin soon.

Garmin Di and Si is not as good as HB

3. Scraps
    I upgraded to Lowrance HDS, but if I had it to do over I'd look real hard t some of the off brands like Garmin. Picture quality is awesome.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    What will make you happy? Winning the lottery would make me happy. You've laid out somewhat of a plan and are 2/3's the way into it. I really don't see the question. You already bought 2 Helix 10's. So another Helix would add what additional functionality? The echomap Plus 93sv with PS22 adds what you are missing. No brainer.

There is a learning curve. The screen you'll see is not like anything you've used before.

A much overlooked aspect of all the sonar we use is that often we are looking at where fish were, not where they are. Even the 2d as it scrolls is history. Only the A-scope is real time-right now. I fish much deeper than you do but it's a big issue for me. I see fish on 2d, drop a lure down, by the time it gets to that depth, the fish are somewhere else. I see you using the 360 as a tool to know where to point the PS22 to know where they are right now, how deep and where to cast. That might just make you happy.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

USA

Panoptics scenario from last Wed. I see the fish swimming toward the boat while I’m making long casts. I hurry and reel up my jig as I watch the fish move from Panoptics view into my 2D A Scope. I drop my jig straight under boat and bounce it one time. Bass eats the jig. It doesn’t get more live then that. I have repeated that scenario hundreds of times. I have cast out a jig 30 ft in front of the boat and watched it fall. As it fell I can watch fish follow it down. NOTHING else comes close! Garmin 2D is unmatched! Panoptics is Unmatched. Quick draw mapping is incredible! Now the new UHD Transducer. Its DI and SI are unmatched. I’m going Garmin every time.
    I wouldn’t be happy with any HB or Lowrance unit after having Garmin.
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 04-20-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I really don't see the question.
    You're right. I was getting kind of wishy washy there. Basically I want to be sure that you guys are picking out and seeing bass that are close to the bottom. Why a PS22 instead of a PS31? And will a PS31 bump into the Ultrex mount 360 transducer?

I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do. I just need to be nudged along.

7. Member
    PS31 is Forward only, but there are internal settings for the cone angle. Depending on terrain there can be advantages to that.
    PS22 can to forward or down depending on the orientation of the transducer. Cone is 20 degrees.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post

I dont know about Garmin mapping. Other might know if Navionics may work on Garmin soon.

I just went out today for the first time with the PS22. It's cool but if I had to keep that or my 360, I'm keeping the 360.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

9. Member
    I am just the opposite. Was happy with 360 until I used a PS30. After 2 years of using both sold my 360 and bought ps21 for trolling motor. I couldn't be more satisfied than I am now. Was contemplating upgrading my old 1040 xs GPSMAP. But determined right now expense not worth it. Present set up finds fish effectively and quickly. I really don't need anything else. This from a guy who just loves to experiment with his electronics.

My MEGA 10 I have had for almost a year. It has only 7 hrs use on it. I find myself rarely turning it on.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post

True statement....sold my 360 asap.