2012 Puma AE setup help

I ahve a new to me 2012 Puma AE with a 225 pro xs. when I measueres prop to pad it was 4.75" below pad and will run 72 at about 6850 rpm. From what I have read, it seems to be that most seem to say ,otor should be 3.5 -2.5 below pad. I raised the motor to 3.75 below pad this morning and wasn't really able to open it up due to conditions, but had a 5-6+ ft rooster tail at about 60 mph with plenty left and not a lot of trim in it. shiuld I drop it back doen to reduce tail? any help with this setup is greatly appreciated. prop is a brand new 25 fury.

It is definitely too high and we feel you have steering wheel torque also. Lower it 1/2” to start and feel the steering on top end. If there’s torque pulling the wheel right, then you need to lower it till torque is very manageable.

3. Member
    Is this mounted on a 8in slidemaster JP?

4. Member
    yes, 8 inch slidemaster manual. had it out this morning and dropped the motor 1/2 inch as suggested by basscat. 8+ inch chop on the lake this morning but ran 74.1 at 5800 rpm, just a little bit of steering torque, rooster tail slightly below motor height, and water pressure 26.9. Quite a bit of chine walkand was a bit of a hand full to drive at that speed. Only second time out with this boat, so hopefully more seat time will eliminate the chinewalk. I have left height as is for now as I'm not sure there is a lot left to get. Any additional suggestions greatly appreciated.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger482vs View Post
    yes, 8 inch slidemaster manual. had it out this morning and dropped the motor 1/2 inch as suggested by basscat. 8+ inch chop on the lake this morning but ran 74.1 at 5800 rpm, just a little bit of steering torque, rooster tail slightly below motor height, and water pressure 26.9. Quite a bit of chine walkand was a bit of a hand full to drive at that speed. Only second time out with this boat, so hopefully more seat time will eliminate the chinewalk. I have left height as is for now as I'm not sure there is a lot left to get. Any additional suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Should also add some add'l info on the total setup. results above were also with 3/4 tank of gas, three batteries, full tackle/gear, just me in the boat (200lb), ultrex 112 on the front, air temp 40 degrees, water temp 42, and livewells empty.
    Would lowering the motor slightly help with the chine walk issue?
    Last edited by Ranger482vs; 04-21-2018 at 07:13 AM.

Chine walk is all user inputs, keeping trim down makes that easier. Raising it makes it easier too though that’s a mistake as performance slips more than ability for you to drive it gains. They are extremely inefficient with the engine raised. That’s the largest mistake people make that the think is helping them because they can drive it fully trimmed out now, just that they are throwing performance in the air with that rooster tail.

Tap the trim trim down and keep the engine lower.

That’s just not on a Bass Cat either, it works similar for all brands while not as drastic a difference. Other boats don’t have the same feel and needs for keeping engine down on hulls that grab more anyway and have more engine propeller slippage. They are hiding the ability to gain and they can. We’ve done it more than once with all brands.