Center Rod Box Mods

The rod box in by boat is a decent length and is nice and wide, but only has eight rod tubes in it. I’m thinking of removing the tubes and maybe lining the box with carpet or vinyl of some sort, that way I can use rod socks and cram way more rods in there. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and they have any pics or tips they’d like to share. Thanks.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

2. Member
    My first question is; How deep is it(back to front) and where is the floatation? If the tubes are loose enough to pull one out without killing it, you might be able to take a flashlight and see more of what you're up against. I think your idea will work. Contact cement when you're ready to stick something in there and the humidity won't effect it. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sleep when you're dead, it's time to fish.

It’s all open in the entire area, no floatation. I think I might have to try to build some side walls as the entire area is quite open and I don’t want stuff from another compartment to end up on top of rods. I’m bringing the boat out of storage this weekend and I’ll see what I’m dealing with.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

Well I tore out the crappy little tube set, managed to find some padded carpet mats that fit together and are close enough for a colour match and after a bit of tidying up some wiring and adjusting the lid struts, it came out great. Now I can fit TONS of rods in there instead of four longer rods and four short rods. Couldn’t be happier. Here’s a before ( with the tubes pulled) and after.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova