Thread: How Bad IS It?

How Bad IS It?

Here is the Culprit..... I thought this heavy duty hub was supposed to be solid... I guess not.

05 250 XS/Sportmaster. Carrier looks ok I think. The seal wasnt't damaged so it didn't get that deep into the carrier.I am very worried about the threads on the inside of the housing. The prop cut a good chunk of the retainer nut out so I'm not sure if ther is sufficient threads left to install a new nut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MIKEinGA; 04-19-2018 at 07:06 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mike- that's REAL bad.

What's your SERIAL NUMBER?

How old is the hub?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    0T998584 is serial number. The hub is several years old.

Ouch!!

6. Member
    Carrier is not ok and neither is the entire case.

7. Member
    Man, hate to see that.

I had one where the little plastic insert separated and pushed back, cutting my seal which needed to be replaced. Now I regularly pull it off and look to be safe.

Hope you find a reasonable path to repair, good luck.

How much torque did you have on that prop nut ??

If you are in GA, call Don and take your rig up to him. Get the whole motor checked out too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

My first suggestion would be to file an insurance claim.
    Just FYI there were several of us Hi-performance boaters that cracked or broke those racing hubs in exactly that same spot when Merc first came out with the fat shaft.. It was from OVER torqueing the prop nut.... My first reaction was BS-- but they were correct

11. Member
    I always torque mine to EXACTLY 55 lb/ft........never had a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I always torque mine to EXACTLY 55 lb/ft........never had a failure.
    Years ago a mechanic told me I couldn't put "to much torque" on the old style Merc shaft with thrust washer.. I tried the same with this style--- at first.

13. Member
    So leaving it at exactly 55 ft lbs is always acceptable and no need to get the next set of nut flats to the folding tabs?
    Last edited by Jtreed99; 04-20-2018 at 10:17 AM.

14. Member
    I did not torque the nut. I actually used the yellow plastic wrench to tighten it so I wouldn't think it was much over 55lbs.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    So leaving it at exactly 55 ft lbs is always acceptable and no need to get the next set of nut flats to the folding tabs?
    There is no folding tabs on this Mercury Racing Hub. The kit has Belleville washers.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    There is no folding tabs on this Mercury Racing Hub. The kit has Belleville washers.

If you look close as to how this is designed -- the nut tightens against the PROP which puts pressure (stretches) the HUB right where that one is broke.. There was a lot of debates on this when they first came out over on the Bullet, Allison and Stroker forums.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 04-20-2018 at 12:34 PM.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's one that you'll have to get VERY carefully pulled down. Odds of saving the case are low... but the only way to know is to carefully remove the damaged aluminum above the nut, and carefully turn the nut out of the case.

Bearing carrier is going to have to be replaced... as will the nut. Case... probably beyond repair, depending on what it looks like when pulled down. If you're REALLY lucky the upper couple threads may be able to be "chased" to clean them up. Threads must hold a new retainer nut at 210 lbs/ft.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Thanks for everyone's input. The retaining nut came out fine. The carrier has some metal loss but it did not get into the first seal. I removed the carrier and dressed up the damaged area. I installed new seals, retainer nut, locking tab, and of course a new hub kit. I also cleaned up the inside of the case. Everything is now torqued and seem to be OK . If it happens again it will unrepairable.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEinGA View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input. The retaining nut came out fine. The carrier has some metal loss but it did not get into the first seal. I removed the carrier and dressed up the damaged area. I installed new seals, retainer nut, locking tab, and of course a new hub kit. I also cleaned up the inside of the case. Everything is now torqued and seem to be OK . If it happens again it will unrepairable.