Prepping for a long summer trip

I have a 2008 boat I bought last fall. I have bled the brakes and greased the bearings, but I will be pulling the boat this summer on vacation and want to prep the trailer. It has hydraulic surge brakes on the rear axle. Can I have the rotors turned just like a car when replacing pads? I am going to repack the bearings and install new seals. Is there any reason to replace the bearings if they are not damaged? Tires are approximately one year old and are wearing evenly. Is there anything else I should inspect and/or do?

If it were me, I’d take a look at the grease to make sure there is some in the hubs. DO NOT pump in too much grease or it will blow the rear seal. Otherwise, I’d leave it alone. If the rear seal is not leaking and the bearings are not loose or noisy, why mess with it? Trailer maintenance is a good example of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

get a matching new complete ready to use hub for a spare, and some 2x4 x 8, and a trailer jack, deep socket to fit wheel nuts & breaker bar, 4 way lug wrench that fits same trailer wheel nuts. and a few hand tools to fix cotter pin in and out, rubber hammer for tapping bearing buddy back on. small grease gun & grease. good 6v flash light. and good spare. recall that Murphy Guy?.. be prepared on long jaunts

4. Member
    Thank you. I'll inspect the seals and leave them alone if all looks good. I have no issues, just wanting to be prepared.

5. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    get a matching new complete ready to use hub for a spare, and some 2x4 x 8, and a trailer jack, deep socket to fit wheel nuts & breaker bar, 4 way lug wrench that fits same trailer wheel nuts. and a few hand tools to fix cotter pin in and out, rubber hammer for tapping bearing buddy back on. small grease gun & grease. good 6v flash light. and good spare. recall that Murphy Guy?.. be prepared on long jaunts
    This^
    Always have a complete spare hub/lugs/tools. If you wipe a hub no one will have the exact one to fit your trailer.

6. Member
    I'm going to get a spare hub for sure. Thanks for the tip on getting one with the rotor so I can run it on either axle.

7. mikesxpress
    I keep a fully loaded spindle/hub/rotor/brake pads/caliper/lug nuts and appropriate tools in a tuff box. It's always in the truck when the boat is being towed along with the Trailer-Aide drive on jack. With the protection added to the spindle nut area I can swap the entire assembly in less than an hour. I've only had to do this once in 20 years but it saved me allot of grief.

I carry a set of triangles (warning devices for a breakdown). Tools I need of course. Jack for the trailer and a 20 inch long 6x6. Fire extinguish in the truck, water ( extinguisher won't put out a bearing fire). Fuses for the boat and truck. Shop rags, towels. An old sheet in case I have to lay on it for any repairs. Extra tail lights and marker lights for trailer plus the wiring pigtail.
    sounds like a lot, but it isn't. Everything fits in one plastic tote, the other plastic tote carries 8-9 wipe down towels and spray to wipe boat down