2000 150 EFI Mercury dies

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the throttle position sensor on this motor would cause the motor to just die? I have tested the TPS with a multi-meter and have found that there is a spot when you move it that reads open. A little background on this engine. My brother bought this boat last year and it has been a problem since he got it. The boat runs just fine at WTO and at idle but there is a spot at about 1/3 rd throttle where the boat consistently just shuts down. It is almost as if someone just turns the key off. Any help that you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by oldschool71; 04-23-2018 at 01:45 PM.

2. Member
    So we replaced the TPS and took it out for a drive. It did not stall as it usually did when coming off of plane or driving along at between 2000-3000 rpms. I did have something else happen that was interesting. As I was coming to an idle the motor sounded like it wanted to die so I tried to quickly give it throttle and the throttle did not respond. I moved it back to neutral and forward again and it responded??? On to a new issue I guess.

3. Member
    need to have fuel psi tested under load
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I will try that next. Thank you.

5. Member
    git-er-dun
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................