Thread: Ice report?

Ice report?

Anyone know how much is is still on some of our northern lakes? I'm off for two weeks in May and was gonna head north, but starting to think I should head south instead.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    Anyone know how much is is still on some of our northern lakes? I'm off for two weeks in May and was gonna head north, but starting to think I should head south instead.
    I have a place by Cadillac and there is no ice..So you have to go north of there..
    It's suppose to get in the 60s up there next week.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

3. Member
    There is 0 open water in Traverse. I think by next weekend that will be a different story, but it's really hard to say. I can't tell you specifically how much is out there, but 2 weeks ago there were still ice fisherman out.....

I think it could be May before we even have open water.

i hope it warms up FAST

5. Member
    You northern boys are tough! Ice in April..

6. Member
    Schoolmaster......keep it down...May? i will put a pack of ocho's on that lake(s) will be open before MAY!!!
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

7. Member
    4 days......Schoolmaster........4 DAYS!!!!!
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

8. Member
    I'm more than willing to donate some ocho's if it will be open in 4 days. Hell I'll give you ocho bags of ocho's if it's open in 4 days! I need some thing to tug string badlyyyyyyyy!!!

9. Member
    The only lakes I know of in the traverse area that are open are , skegemog ( did not go to the main DNR launch so have no idea if the ice pile is still at the ramp), most of clam lake ( the DNR launch facility is still iced in) and duck lake in interlochen ( spoke with a friend that lives on lake). Parts of torch are open but no accessible by any ramp. Both bays are open but there are icebergs floating down from petoskey and the UP into both bays.Our temps will be in the 50's to 60's by end of next week. The possibility of them being open by next weekends walleye/pike opener is a 50/50 crap shoot. I drove to these lakes yesterday as I was bored to death and had to get out of the house.

10. Member
    Lots of ice on the lakes up here still in the tip of the mitt. No open water on the inland lakes.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    I'm more than willing to donate some ocho's if it will be open in 4 days. Hell I'll give you ocho bags of ocho's if it's open in 4 days! I need some thing to tug string badlyyyyyyyy!!!
    dust them ocho's off....its on!! oh crap my line doesn't get here till monday.

I'm trying to hit Glenn on the 4th of May, but may change my plans thanks for the updates gentlemen.

13. Member
    Anyone have info on some of the bigger TC lakes. Glen, Leelanau, Crystal, Platte etc. I'm assuming they are soft? Small lakes opened Sunday, Long finished Monday. Been out a couple times, tough sledding COLD water obviously.

14. Member
    Pretty much open on this side of the bay according to the NOAA satalite pictures today.

15. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Wallon looks open
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

16. Member
    The smaller lakes are open as of Thursday. On Thursday Burt and Mullett had small patches of ice drifting about yet but by today I'd have to say they are probably all but gone. The next couple of weeks the forecast and temps look really good overall so we should start to see water temps on the rise. Just need the water clarity to improve. Everything is extremely dirty and high right now with all the rain and run off.

I skipped it and stayed local. I'm off in late sept. I'll try then