99 javelin fiberglass restoration help

So i have read some real good information on here about restoring my badly oxidized fiberglass. I bought the protec restoration kit and a harbor freight high speed buffer.
    Question 1
    So when prepping the boat to sand they recommend using ammonia mixed in with the wash, can this harm the carpet or ant other surface at all?
    2. In the pictures shown, certain areas it seems the flake has turned silver under the gel coat. I wouldn't say someone sanded through because it's a random pattern, some look like cracks through the gel coat that then bleached the flake. I'm curious if is fixable?
    There is s product by MagicEzy that claims you can fix crazing to look like new, is that what some of this is?

I have a few gouges. Is MagicEzy gouge repair or Evercoat Marine gelcoat repair better?
    4. looking to also repaint my 115 johnson, it's plastic and metal. I can get the factory paint but what is the best prep for those surfaces

2. Member
    I can answer #4: The best way to prep for paint depends on what is left of the old. You can use a sponge and wet sand with 220 grit, if faster cut is needed go with 150 grit. Me I cut it down to primer then reprime with proper primer sand with 220 when it looks and feels good you can use 400 to go over it again. Clean with product like prepsol or acetone or laquer thinner. Then prep the paint put it in gun and shoot. On outboards I use my CAT Techline jr (mini jet) less material waste. The proper visc. (how thin it is) on the paint is important for proper flow through the gun and film thickness. I always do 2 coats second coat applies when 1st tacks up. The primer I use on plastic is Supermarine 664D self etching primer it sticks to stainless without proper prep(my dipping cup is now white) best I have ever used. Been painting since the mid 70's favorite paint is Imron there is a special primer Corlar that needs to be used (caution Imron is very dangerous when sprayed proper equiptment must be used). Doing my Merc now gonna add airbrush work to top flaming skull and crossbones 2 cutlass and surrender the booty.

3. Member
    Thank you for your input i really appreciate it. I honestly only have a cheap spray gun and have never done it. I was honestly gonna use a spray can after prepping it properly

4. Member
    I don't knock cheap spray guns. I have a HF HVLP $20.00 gun that puts on a good finish. Nothing wrong with a rattle can either 1/2 lap your strokes after 1st coat tacks up apply 2nd. Look to make sure you have consistant color. Wet sand with 1000 grit if needed then polish with polishing compound like 3m finess it..

One thing the difference between the spray can and spray gun the gun is adjustable the can you get what ya get. Both use same stroke of the arm one has a pull trigger (gun) the other a push nozzle.

As for question 1: We recommend Dawn dish detergent and ammonia to wash to remove any wax or grease on the surface. No it won't hurt the carpet or anything else. Let me know if you have any other questions about the Pro-Tec process. Thanks.

Don't be Dull, Let Your Boat Shine with Pro-Tec WWW.PROTECPRODUCTS.COM

Where the flake has turned you can prep as stated above and shoot the flake with a “candy” color match the original color of the flake. It can be purchased from most auto parts stores. I prefer NAPA. Then apply the automotive clear. This method IMO is the last resort. Not sure what the rest of the boat looks like. Maybe it can be sanded and buffed...? On your mota..get NAPA the match the color, prep and spray. For just he cowl I like base/clear.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Thanks guys. Some of those areas look like cracks that then the flake turned silver. I'm not sure what to do for those. Has anyone used magic ezy or evercoat marine gel coat repair

8. Member
    Are they possible to fix