Ranger Z522 Shutting Down

i have a 2009 Z522 with a 300 Verado that has very low hours and has ran flawlessly with almost zero issues until today when the engine shut down about a mile down the lake. Mine has the touch code so I hit the start button and it started back up and J ran about 1/2 mile and it shut down again. When the engine shut down I didn’t hear any or see anything out of whack on my smart gauge. When the engine shut down the depth founder also shut down as if there might be an electrical problem. Later today I noticed the light on the push pad for the gas tanks wasn’t working as well as the manual and auto bilge lights. Could the problem be a faulty start/stop keypad? Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated. I spoke with a mechanic at the dealership that is certified and he said it sounded like an electrical problem rather than an engine problem. I am currently on vacation on Dale Hollow lake smallmouth fishing and am a little hesitant about running 7 miles or so down the lake to my favorite fishing area with this going on. BTW the engine did shut down twice yesterday but restarted and ran probably 12 to 15 miles afterward with no problems. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Check all the wiring plugs going into the "brain box" under the dash. A loose connection will cause the intermittent service.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    Sounds like it could also be a battery issue. I have a brand new 520 and I had
    to replace the battery was not big enough.

4. Member
    Check your cranking battery, ifs it’s not a AGM 31 then that’s your problem. All the Verados on Ranger requires a 31 AGM battery!!!!If it is a AGM 31 I would give it a good charge, if’s its a AGM it may take two days for a full charge, been there and done that!!!

5. Member
    If it is engine related....................Veradoclub.com will have the answer.

6. Member
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Please keep them coming. I replaced all 3 deep cycle batteries and the cranking battery less than 2 years ago. I used the recommended 1000 MCA Optima battery for the cranking battery and will check it but don’t think that is the problem. We tried to fish today but the engine and all accessories including the console Lowrance sonar unit kept shutting down. It actually shut down three different times while loading the boat on the trailer. It is shutting down more frequently now. I have placed a call to Ranger Boats and am awaiting a return phone call. I have a strong suspicion it is the key pad that has gone bad but will check all connections and the battery before ordering a new key pad. Anyone had a similar problem with their Ranger boat?

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I will point out that even brand new batteries sometimes have problems, and that weak or damaged batteries can cause other electronic problems in boats, including keypad problems. If it were mine, I’d take it to a Ranger dealer, have them hook up a new battery, and test it. If the battery is an issue, it should be apparent right away (given the frequency of problems you are now experiencing). If it still exhibits problems with the new battery, they can change out a keypad there as well. Chasing electrical gremlins over the phone is tempting, but seldom effective. Good luck to you, sir, however it shakes out.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    I spoke with Jason, electrical engineer with Ranger Boats and he said it was the distribution box (brain) that was the problem. I went ahead and ordered the key pad and the distribution box together as a kit and saved almost enough that the key pad was free. Also, I ordered a remote key switch to install just in case either the key pad or distribution box were to go bad I could still start the engine and get back to the dock. I will let you guys know if this solves the problem for future reference. Thanks again for everyone ‘s help!