Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mexico fishing trip

Friend of mine Mexico fishing trip------ Beartraps trip

Fished past 6 days with ron speed adventures on comedero.... My partner and I caught approx 670 bass....we had 57 over 6lbs,29 over 7 lbs,6 over 8lbs and 3 over 9lbs.....great adventure in every respect.....I've fished el salto,picachos, and Guerrero in its heyday and never seen fish easier to catch or more eager to bite.....
    some observations about our trip...
    we started off each morning fishing top water ...my buddy caught several nice fish including an 8.5 lb and several 4-5 lb fish on a Yellow magic popper...I tried Pop R's,prop baits and a whopper plopper and only had a few small fish bites....usually I'd switch to a 5 or 6 inch senko or a tenn shad fluke after 30 minutes or less and start catching numbers of 1-2 lb fish but don't recall catching any sizeable fish early...
    you could almost catch or miss a fish every cast if you threw a senko or fluke up on a bank in a few inches of water...it was like we were fishing a pond where the fish were starving and had never seen an artificial lure...
    we would get bored at times and when a fish bit,we would just reel them up to the boat to see what size they were before we set the hook....and most times there would be another fish or two with them...same when we were fighting a fish to the boat...
    back in early days of Lake Guerrero,it wasn't unusual for a fish to come off when bringing it to the boat and the fish would wheel around and bite the lure again...we had this happen numerous times last week typically with 1-2lb fish but we did have one instance of a 5lb fish come off of an underspin,wheel around and nail the boat again...
    maybe one of the most unusual "fish catching" experiences I've ever had was when I hooked a 2lb bass on a worm,fought the fish to within 6 ft or so of the boat when the fish came off and stripped my worm off the hook....my buddy was reeling in and fixing to lift his lizard out of the water when my fish shot over there,grabbed his lizard.he jerked the bass into the boat and my worm fell out of his mouth......
    majority of our 5lb and over fish came from 10-12 ft of water but we did catch a few fish over 7lbs in 5ft or less and several 20 to 30 ft deep....
    we caught fish on a number of baits...maybe the most productive was a gambler senko,black with blue tail or watermelon red flake and a plum ole monster worm...we also caught a lot of fish on cane thumper swimbaits rigged texas rig or on an underspin...
    the accomodations were fine.........fish,shrimp steaks and Mexican food was outstanding...considering the remote location,ron speed and staff have done a remarkable job with the lodge and the food... ...
    lake is nestled in the mountains and is both remote and starkly beautiful...clear deep water with alot of steep rocky banks and bluffs,,narrow coves with steep walls plus underwater brush....I've got some pictures I'll try to down load and post next week...
    P.S.any questions,I'll be glad to try to answer them... (.I receive no compensation nor discounts from Ron Speed or the lodge)
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 04-18-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Not sure I should trust a banned members report - lol

Quote Originally Posted by BCapes View Post
    You just wish you had a 100 years to live----- so you could do half of the things he has done.

4. Member
    I went to El Salto this past Feb. and had a blast. We caught 117 fish in 4 hours one day on DT 6.

5. Member
    SWEET!!!!

6. Member
    We fished Comedero when it first opened up after being closed for sometime with Ron Speed. We didn't catch any fish like reported above and will never go back. When we fished there Steve Parks and Terry Odham were fishing there and they didn't catch anything like mentioned above either, maybe the fishing has changed.

7. Member
    Great report. If you have never read about Beartrap's trip down the I THINK Mississippi river you should read it . GREAT read. He has also wrote about Dove hunting in South America.

8. Member
    I was at Comedero last week also, and there is no BS in that report. Biggest in our boat was a 9.1 on a plopper. My best day was over 37#'s I had a 7.6 on a yellow magic, two 8's on back to back cast, they went off on a DD 22 (had two over 4 on it but one came unbuttoned trying to net them). The accomadations was not as convenient as Picachos but if you like big bass it is definatly the go to lake.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Great report. If you have never read about Beartrap's trip down the I THINK Mississippi river you should read it . GREAT read. He has also wrote about Dove hunting in South America.
    He has ran the Mississippi all the way, he ran the Missouri River from South Dakota to St. Louis. On the Missouri River trip he stopped and spent the night in Council Bluffs. He and his son pulled the boat out at the Narrow's Ramp for the night. That ramp is less than 2 miles from my house, so I met up with him and his crew.

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I've always heard you'll get your thumb blistered in Ol' Mexico if you're not careful.

Sounds like an incredible trip... Maybe someday.
    Who controls John Gill?

Man that sounds like fun...!

12. Member
    No BS on this report. My son and I went there in March of 2018. Going there again in Feb.
    Video of our trip. Got so bored of catching 6lbers, I didn't even bother to weigh them

Imagine|Capture|Inspire
    https://www.instagram.com/photosbyteng/
    2018 Ram Sport Edition
    2009 Ranger Z21 Quicksilver w/Evinrude 250hp

Quote Originally Posted by 00ranger00 View Post
    No BS on this report. My son and I went there in March of 2018. Going there again in Feb.
    Video of our trip. Got so bored of catching 6lbers, I didn't even bother to weigh them

Very cool! how would the accommodations work if I had my wife with me?

I would love to go there.

15. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Let them know what you need and they will make it happen. My wife fished Guerrero and El Salto numerous times.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

16. Member
    Usually, if you call and talk with Bill https://www.ronspeedadventures.com/ (I have no affiliation with them) and tell him you're taking your wife / son / daughter, he will usually give you a discount.

Last year, I was going to go to El Salto but my friends talked me into going to Comedero and after looking at the site, they didn't have the father / son discount so Comedero so I talked with Bill and he extended the discount to me and my 11 year old son in the Video.

We caught everything from 2lbs to 9.8lbs. It got to the point where we didn't even bother to weigh the 6-7lbers as seen in the video. I can tell you, after one day of 60+ bass in the 4-8lb range, you'll be tuckered out.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Imagine|Capture|Inspire
    https://www.instagram.com/photosbyteng/
    2018 Ram Sport Edition
    2009 Ranger Z21 Quicksilver w/Evinrude 250hp

17. Member
    Great times. Trip of a lifetime
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Friend of mine Mexico fishing trip------ Beartraps trip

Fished past 6 days with ron speed adventures on comedero.... My partner and I caught approx 670 bass....we had 57 over 6lbs,29 over 7 lbs,6 over 8lbs and 3 over 9lbs.....great adventure in every respect.....I've fished el salto,picachos, and Guerrero in its heyday and never seen fish easier to catch or more eager to bite.....
    some observations about our trip...
    we started off each morning fishing top water ...my buddy caught several nice fish including an 8.5 lb and several 4-5 lb fish on a Yellow magic popper...I tried Pop R's,prop baits and a whopper plopper and only had a few small fish bites....usually I'd switch to a 5 or 6 inch senko or a tenn shad fluke after 30 minutes or less and start catching numbers of 1-2 lb fish but don't recall catching any sizeable fish early...
    you could almost catch or miss a fish every cast if you threw a senko or fluke up on a bank in a few inches of water...it was like we were fishing a pond where the fish were starving and had never seen an artificial lure...
    we would get bored at times and when a fish bit,we would just reel them up to the boat to see what size they were before we set the hook....and most times there would be another fish or two with them...same when we were fighting a fish to the boat...
    back in early days of Lake Guerrero,it wasn't unusual for a fish to come off when bringing it to the boat and the fish would wheel around and bite the lure again...we had this happen numerous times last week typically with 1-2lb fish but we did have one instance of a 5lb fish come off of an underspin,wheel around and nail the boat again...
    maybe one of the most unusual "fish catching" experiences I've ever had was when I hooked a 2lb bass on a worm,fought the fish to within 6 ft or so of the boat when the fish came off and stripped my worm off the hook....my buddy was reeling in and fixing to lift his lizard out of the water when my fish shot over there,grabbed his lizard.he jerked the bass into the boat and my worm fell out of his mouth......
    majority of our 5lb and over fish came from 10-12 ft of water but we did catch a few fish over 7lbs in 5ft or less and several 20 to 30 ft deep....
    we caught fish on a number of baits...maybe the most productive was a gambler senko,black with blue tail or watermelon red flake and a plum ole monster worm...we also caught a lot of fish on cane thumper swimbaits rigged texas rig or on an underspin...
    the accomodations were fine.........fish,shrimp steaks and Mexican food was outstanding...considering the remote location,ron speed and staff have done a remarkable job with the lodge and the food... ...
    lake is nestled in the mountains and is both remote and starkly beautiful...clear deep water with alot of steep rocky banks and bluffs,,narrow coves with steep walls plus underwater brush....I've got some pictures I'll try to down load and post next week...
    P.S.any questions,I'll be glad to try to answer them... (.I receive no compensation nor discounts from Ron Speed or the lodge)
    So the fishing was a bit better than your typical day on an Iowa lake? Sounds wonderful!
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

19. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Quote Originally Posted by BCapes View Post
    . . . . Great Report, Thanks for Posting.

20. Member
    I'll be at Picachos and then El Salto next week with Ron Speed. Can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast