Hesitation at launch.

8.7 hours.
    Hydraulic jack plate all the way down.
    Trim all the way down.

When I launch from sitting, the motor bogs for a second, then climbs right up in RPM and everything seems normal.
    Total holeshot to flat feels around 5 to 6 seconds with the bog consuming the first second to a second and a half.

Not sure what to think of that.
    2018 Triton TRX 20, Mercury 250 Pro XS Serial Number 2B526777

What prop and what PVS plugs are you using. This is normally indicative of not enough venting.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I’m no expert, and this is a brand new boat, well sold as new anyway. All I know is it has 25 fury.

If it has any type of plugs in the PVS holes, remove them and try again.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Moat all have a (little bog) or slight hesitation when you nail the throttle... depending on MANY different variables as to how much is acceptable.
    Air temperature, elevation, gear ratio, prop, load in boat __________________
    My advice is to get on the Triton page and find what prop works best for rigs set up and ran like yours..
    Some of us never find the exact combination.. Especially those of us who fish lakes that range in elevation from 1200 ft to 7100 ft. I try to keep 3 different props to have the boat perform to it's capabilities.

6. Member
    Don't lower the motor all the way down on the jackplate.

7. Member
    Is this something that just started? Exactly what mine did when a coil started to fail.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Is this something that just started? Exactly what mine did when a coil started to fail.
    Yesterday was the first time I’ve run the boat myself.

I missed that this is a 2018 boat. Sorry about that.

Has the break-in process been completed? If so, how many hours are on the motor?

A couple of ideas... During break-in, the motor is double oiling. This can reduce the effectiveness of the spark plugs. If you have a Mercmonitor, you will have a flashing "A" WITHOUT an audible tone if it is still in the break-in mode. If you go into the alarms page, you can see how many minutes remain. The break-in does not go by just hours. There are a certain set of parameters that must be met before the break-in clock starts running. Secondly, these motor can take a season to wear-in and become the beast they are known for. I know my last two new motors were different at 50 hours than at 15!

Like I wrote earlier, pull out all the PVS plugs. It might be worth inspecting your spark plugs and checking the gap. If the break-in is complete, get out there and run the motor in the 4500-5000 RPM range. Gets some running hours on her. Oh yeah, fish a little bit too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I missed that this is a 2018 boat. Sorry about that.

Has the break-in process been completed? If so, how many hours are on the motor?

A couple of ideas... During break-in, the motor is double oiling. This can reduce the effectiveness of the spark plugs. If you have a Mercmonitor, you will have a flashing "A" WITHOUT an audible tone if it is still in the break-in mode. If you go into the alarms page, you can see how many minutes remain. The break-in does not go by just hours. There are a certain set of parameters that must be met before the break-in clock starts running. Secondly, these motor can take a season to wear-in and become the beast they are known for. I know my last two new motors were different at 50 hours than at 15!

Like I wrote earlier, pull out all the PVS plugs. It might be worth inspecting your spark plugs and checking the gap. If the break-in is complete, get out there and run the motor in the 4500-5000 RPM range. Gets some running hours on her. Oh yeah, fish a little bit too.
    haha, no sweat.

Ok, I don't have a merc monitor but I wish I did, and I will have one, but I can't get to it in the next two weeks.

At the dealer, they plugged in the boat, and read the hours out at 8.7 when I took delivery and it did say on the screen that it was still in break in cycle.

Yesterday, I ran it in the 3000 to 5000 range for at least an hour, more likely up to an hour and a half. I was having so much fun, I sort of lost track of time.... Varying the RPM's as I went every 3 to 5 minutes.

Also, all three plugs are out of the prop.

I'm leaving monday for a two week fishing tour to three different lakes and visiting some family that hasn't met the baby yet. I wish I knew of shop near me that could install a merc monitor today or tomorrow, but I'm sure they are all booked solid considering I live near a large lake with tons of boats. I don't even know who I would trust around here to touch my boat.

11. Member
    What about the mobile monitor to a smartphone.. would that show me any breakin info?

12. Member
    Get the Mercmonitor!

13. Member
    Is this an easy self install? Or a pain and should be done by a professional?

14. Member
    Depends on your skill level......If can fix things, its no big deal.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Depends on your skill level......If can fix things, its no big deal.
    If the instructions are good, that helps. It feels like it would be mostly plug, run and play.

If you can plug in a lamp, you can do the Vessel View Mobile. A Mercmonitor is a bit more complicated but not hard. Remove the old instrument, cap off the wiring, run the data cable back to the motor, and plug in a few adapters/plugs and it is done. The rest is programming the instrument...again very easy. Truely, the hardest part is fishing the data cable through the rigging tube.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal