'18 TRX20, trailer how deep for loading?

I ran my 20trx today for the first time. When loading back on the trailer, I put the trailer into the water about where the front 1/8 to 1/4 of the fenders where out of the water... when I drove on, the nose rammed right into the bow roller taking a nice chuck of fiberglass with it.

Best I can figure is I had the trailer in too deep.

Thoughts?

2. Member
    Too deep
    my trx usually not quite as deep in water then I power load up some get the bow eye hooked to the winch. I back in the trailer in a little deeper and winch up tight

The ramp angle will also affect how deep it needs to be. On steep ramps, don't back it in as far... As you found out the hard way, it's always better to have the trailer to shallow then to deep.

I don't power load, float off and on.. line up ,use TM slow approach, then I pull TM up so it don't break as hit trailer frames lolo. Then mosey up reach over hook bow and winch .step off onto truck tail gate and ease up ramp 5' , stop , walk to back if aligned ok on bunks. strap the 2 sides and off to ramp prep spot out of way, to finish things to head home. My 29 yr old Boat maybe old , but lot of folks say it looks 5 yrs old.. In a hurry is always a chance for CHIT to happen

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    I don't power load, float off and on.. line up ,use TM slow approach, then I pull TM up so it don't break as hit trailer frames lolo. Then mosey up reach over hook bow and winch .step off onto truck tail gate and ease up ramp 5' , stop , walk to back if aligned ok on bunks. strap the 2 sides and off to ramp prep spot out of way, to finish things to head home. My 29 yr old Boat maybe old , but lot of folks say it looks 5 yrs old.. In a hurry is always a chance for CHIT to happen
    I've used this method a time or three, it works well when it's not blowing 25 mph across you or from the rear
    2018 Triton TRX 20, Mercury 250 Pro XS Serial Number 2B526777

haha know what ya mean.. Bro n Law owns a B&B water front on Lake Buchanan , there its just tie up at his dock, and fergetaboutit.. especially when dinner bell rings, then back to fishing.. but haven't been there in a long time.. 1400+ one way miles

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    haha know what ya mean.. Bro n Law owns a B&B water front on Lake Buchanan , there its just tie up at his dock, and fergetaboutit.. especially when dinner bell rings, then back to fishing.. but haven't been there in a long time.. 1400+ one way miles
    One time I loaded at Rayburn in a storm.. I sear it felt like 40 MPH winds .. i like to never get that boat on the trailer!

8. Member
    If about 6 inches of middle bunks are sticking out of the water when you are loading back up you should be close to perfect for most ramps.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    If about 6 inches of middle bunks are sticking out of the water when you are loading back up you should be close to perfect for most ramps.
    Excellent reference , thank you

10. Member
    To: 2018 owners who have also owned previous 20 1/2 Triton’s........seems JM is now building the Triton trailer instead of Marine Master. So have they fixed the unloading problem of the trolling motor hitting the bow roller when you unload. Or perhaps the real question is whether I still need to power unload to keep this from happening? Since this is my 4th Triton, only honest answers are required. Guess I might as well also ask if the new Atwood covers have been modified to fit the MK trolling motors.

11. Member
    I usually have mine 1/3 to 1/2 way up the wheel fender. From the back ... also depends on angle of ramp .. if your unloading somewhere new , watch on how the boat starts to float , give you and idea on where to shop to load..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    I usually have mine 1/3 to 1/2 way up the wheel fender. From the back ... also depends on angle of ramp .. if your unloading somewhere new , watch on how the boat starts to float , give you and idea on where to shop to load..
    Yeah I was way too deep... I did like my last trailer and backed in until only the front little bit of my fenders where out of the water... I don’t know why I didn’t look at the dang bunks... just not thinking I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    This is definitely the best method I have found, usually I can start coasting into the trailer and let the boat center itself then it takes very little throttle to move up to the roller.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishing_Fool_NC View Post
    To: 2018 owners who have also owned previous 20 1/2 Triton’s........seems JM is now building the Triton trailer instead of Marine Master. So have they fixed the unloading problem of the trolling motor hitting the bow roller when you unload. Or perhaps the real question is whether I still need to power unload to keep this from happening? Since this is my 4th Triton, only honest answers are required. Guess I might as well also ask if the new Atwood covers have been modified to fit the MK trolling motors.
    These new trailers are definitely easier to launch and load with. Good riddance to the marine master trailer. I’ve read the stories over on the Phoenix board where they’re having the same launch/load issues with the MM trailer under them.