Ultrex stiff cable

Is there anyway to "soften" up the cable to make it more pliable? It is way to stiff and sits on deck badly.

2. Member
    I'm not sure about softening up the cable, but, one thing that helped me was undoing all of the electrical connections and untwisting the main cable to the foot petal. To many twist makes the cable stiffer, I was then able to align by hand the internal steering / power cables so that they moved more freely. This in turn helped me to "tame" the main cable and allowed it go where I needed it beside my bow graph.

3. Member
    I just brought this us a few days ago. Have a look at others input.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=896393

I did this today with a heat gun.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

5. Member
    Anyone actually show how they got it to lay that way??

John

6. Member
    I was kinda hoping that when summer gets here and I'm out on the lad in sun a few times I might be able to manipulate the cable into a more desirable position
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

No way other than heat to "soften" --I was able to get mine to lay in the desired direction by twisting the foot pedal one direction or the other.

8. Member
    I was thinking about cutting the thick plastic sleeve from the factory off and cover with a TH marine troll jacket. Think this would work?

9. Member
    The steering cable jacket is by nature stiff. Since the control cable come off the side of the steering module instead of the top of the trolling motor, it has less room to wrap and turn. The outer jacket is stiff in the cold weather, but will soften when it warms up.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Any major disadvantage in cutting it off? I used it all summer and it was horrible.

Not that I can think of. All it does is keep the wires together and protected -- the troll jacket should do the same.
    Go for it .... let us know how it turns out.

12. Member
    Today I cut the OEM sheilding protector off the cable. This material is way to thick and stiff. I taped the wires together every foot then added a Trolling cable sock. MUCH MUCH better!. MInnkota needs to take notice and use a more flexible sleeve,

14. Member
    Did I understand right that you taped the harness from the foot pedal to the troll motor head? What a ill advise move. Hope you have to replace the steer cables one day. You only need to make a wrap every foot or so.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Did I understand right that you taped the harness from the foot pedal to the troll motor head? What a ill advise move. Hope you have to replace the steer cables one day. You only need to make a wrap every foot or so.
    You might want to reread his post. That is EXACTLY what he did!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    You might want to reread his post. That is EXACTLY what he did!
    OK thanks I did reread and you are right. Man I am getting too old. I can't even read any more. I must correct my self. that was a good move.
    Believe me I have seen this. The customer paid for the extra time to get it taken off.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theBaitBar View Post
    Today I cut the OEM sheilding protector off the cable. This material is way to thick and stiff. I taped the wires together every foot then added a Trolling cable sock. MUCH MUCH better!. MInnkota needs to take notice and use a more flexible sleeve,
    Got any pictures?
    Wes