Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jack Plate question can you guys help?

Hi everyone I am looking into a manual Jack Plate for my Stratos 486sf fish and ski. The boat has a 20 in Yamaha 150 4 stroke built in 2006 and I went online and looked at either the rapid Jack Magnum or the Vance Manufacturing. Here's my question. I was set on a 6in manual Jack Plate and I was going to purchase from one of these companies but the man from Vance asked what kind of boat it was going on and I told him and he said Stratos and Triton are basically built the same way they taper in instead of having a transom that goes all the way across. If you look at a bird's eye view of the 486sf online you can see what I'm talking about. Vance claims that I would be better off with an 8in Jack Plate instead of a 6 because of the design on my transom. In all fairness the man from Hydro Dynamics that I spoke with wasn't aware that I had a Stratos boat so who knows he could have told me the same thing. Just looking for some input from fellow Stratos and Triton owners- is this the case is 8 better than 6? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Outing; 04-18-2018 at 07:29 PM.

2. Member
    On your hull,I would go with an 8”.Fish and ski hulls are front end heavy and need all the bow lift they can get,you’ll get better lift with the 8.Vance makes very good plates,I’m on my third one on three boats and would buy again.

3. Member
    My only trepidation is six inch is the most common from what I read I'm just wondering what if 8in setback is too far what would the results be?

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Steve at Hydro Dynamics is a good friend and I sell his products. Let me know if I can help.

https://fastbassmarine.com/collectio...=7154372444194
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    On your hull,I would go with an 8”.Fish and ski hulls are front end heavy and need all the bow lift they can get,you’ll get better lift with the 8.Vance makes very good plates,I’m on my third one on three boats and would buy again.
    I have seen it said many times that if you set the motor further back you get more bow lift. I am copying a thread here that has some comments by Paul Nichols. He is one of the sharpest ones out there on boat set up. This discussion is about a different hull but the principal is the same. Pay particular attention to post #21. He explains why setting the motor back more makes it harder to lift the bow. Remember pushing the back of the boat deeper into the water is not the same as lifting the front of the boat out of the water.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....34#post6807834

6. Member
    You need to make sure that all your cables or hoses are long enough for the 8" jack plate.

7. Banned
    Anything over 4" will need new cables.

8. Member
    I have hydraulic steering and plenty of playing in my cables so I think I'm good there

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Anything over 4" will need new cables.
    Not always true depending on how it was rigged. I did not need new anything installing a 6" on my Triton. Always a good idea to measure though.

10. Banned
    OP, the guys at Vance know their product. I'm running a 6" manual on my Triton. Quality product for sure.

11. Member
    Riccochet your transom is sort of like mine it tapers in do you wish you had at 8 in or are you completely happy with the 6 which route do you think I should go?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outing View Post
    Riccochet your transom is sort of like mine it tapers in do you wish you had at 8 in or are you completely happy with the 6 which route do you think I should go?
    I would go with Vance's recommendation of the 8". Your boat is probably more bow heavy than my bass boat. I'm happy with my 6", but I do see a bit more porpoising at low speed even completely trimmed down. If I had gone with an 8" it would be worse. The further the setback on the plate the more bow rise you'll get.

13. Member
    20180419_222319.jpg (10.9 KB) this is basically a bird's eye view of my boat I'm looking at around 9 in where my motor mounts to the transom what I call the fins on the port and starboard side stick out 9in past my transom hope I'm explaining that correctly that's why Vance told me I need an 8 in so the opinion is with you guys should I stay with the 6 or go with the 8 I'm looking for more top speed not really necessarily a better hole shot but I would like to keep my boat on plane at a lower RPM
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    not not trying to beat this subject but I need to make a purchase very soon just conflicted between the 6 or 8 inch on my boat because of the transom design

15. Banned
    You may want to post your question in the Fish and Ski subforum.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I will tell you one thing about the Rapid Jack it is probably one of the easiest on the market to adjust. Every time you move the adjustment nut you are either raising or lowering it 1/4" no doubt about it.

17. Member
    You are absolutely right I have done extensive research and I narrowed it down to either the Vance or the rapid Jack Magnum problem is I was told by Vance to go with the 8 instead of the 6 so they got me thinking now hydrodynamics never asked me what kind of a boat it was going on maybe I need to call them back to and explain how my transom is shaped just don't want to screw this up once and done

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They (Hydrodynamics) used to offer powder coating so ask about that and their mounting kits too.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    They (Hydrodynamics) used to offer powder coating so ask about that and their mounting kits too.
    Hydro Dynamics can powder coat in Red, White, Blue and Black. Any color other than those has to be sent out.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

20. Member
    Thanks for the replies do any of you guys think that I need to get a low water pickup on my 150 Yamaha it is a 20in shaft I probably will be going with the 6in Jack Plate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast