Minn Kota trolling motor on ranger aluminum

When you build a boat on the ranger site, there are two minn Kota 70 pound thrust 24 volt trolling motors. One says BG. The other says SC BG. They are different prices so I assume they are different units. What is the difference between them?

2. Member
    The BG stands for bow guard and the SC is for 5 speed motor. The BG only model has the digital maximizer and infinite speed control.

3. Member
    I believe the BG has a variable speed motor (Digital Maximizer) and the SC/BG just has a 5 speed motor. The digital maximizer works like a reostat. The more you turn the knob the more power to the motor where as the 5 speed motor just has five distinct speeds.

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Go with the digital maximizer.....WAY better
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Go with the digital maximizer.....WAY better
    Yep, that's what I did. Only if I had to do it over again I would have gone with an Ultrex. The 70 digital is stout and even held me in 20 MPH winds with gust to 35 fishing in a STRONG current on the Cumberland today. Outside of the nice temperature outside it was about as miserable conditions as you would want, but that little trolling motor held fine. I just had to leave it on 100% all day. I only made it a few hours before I gave up LOL. The fish were biting, I just didn't feel like fighting the dang wind. Every fish I had to unbutton the current would push you a mile down. I could give you a 100 reasons to get the Ultrex. If you ever use one you'll be hooked! If the money isn't there get the digital 70. Mine has been rock solid for 18 months. I've had it in heavy matted grass on Guntersville and Stick Marsh in Florida and in all kinds of wood and crap on Barkley and everything in-between. My last two boats had TE82's...no comparison how much nicer this little MK70 is.

6. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Love my Ultrex
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

7. Member
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm curious how the digital maximizer affects a foot controller trolling motor. I've used one on a hand control and I can see the advantage. On a foot control, I'm assuming you're still just setting the control knob on a particlaur speed and then trolling at that set speed.

8. Member
    Yes but you have the ability to adjust the speed anywhere betweeen 1-100 on the dial, instead of just 1-5. Much easier to find a perfect speed for every current or wind condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShallowWaterAngler View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm curious how the digital maximizer affects a foot controller trolling motor. I've used one on a hand control and I can see the advantage. On a foot control, I'm assuming you're still just setting the control knob on a particlaur speed and then trolling at that set speed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Yes but you have the ability to adjust the speed anywhere betweeen 1-100 on the dial, instead of just 1-5. Much easier to find a perfect speed for every current or wind condition.
    Yep, and you get battery life with the digital motor control.

10. Member
    Thanks again guys.