Thread: Bullet 21 XRS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bullet 21 XRS

Just purchased a new 21 XRS and was wondering if anyone could give some direction on the setup of the boat, prop, height an setback if possible. It's being rigged with a 300XS and the most recent DBR kit with 1.75 sportmaster. Dealer cautioned me about the boat that they can lose lift at high speeds and get out of control quickly if the prop loses it's bite. I'm staring out with a Promax prop but he mentioned I should have someone work my prop for this type of boat. I previously had the XS on a Champion but i'm sure the Bullet is a completely different animal and appreciate any feedback that would help with this setup. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Craig

First off, welcome to BBC and the Bullet family. A 28 pitch promax or bravo would be a good starting point. 1.5” above the pad then adjust 1/4” either way to fine tune if needed. 14” set back. There’ll be more come along with good ideas. The thing you run into in the 70’s (mph) is chine walk, the “falling” off the pad. Seat time will correct that along with help from the guys on here. Post plenty of pics. We like pics!
    Last edited by WVBullet; 04-18-2018 at 05:31 PM.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    Welcome to the Bullet family. If you have not driven a bullet be cautious. It should run in the 90+ range. And can get real bad real quick. A good bit of seat time will cure it though. Then there a blast to drive. I've got a different hull so I can't help much with setup but have a good time playing till you find the best for your boat.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

4. Member
    I also had a champ before my bullet. Be careful, the speed will come to you the more you drive it.
    Bass Cat Puma

5. Member
    So I was able to run 88 in the Champion but it was totally stable and never had an event where it really got scary. I’m completely comfortable driving thru the chime walk but what got my attention was the dealer saying how they can fall off the pad and take a hard left. Has anyone experienced this and if so why does this happen ?

6. Member
    And thanks for the introduction....It’s great to finally be part of the Bullet family!

Falling off the pad and walking is the chine. Not having the proper skeg on a sporty, like a straight one, has cause some scary times for guys at high speeds and caused a severe hook. Some of the guys on here have the xrs and can talk hull and lift.

8. Member
    Welcome to the Bullet family and always be careful, don't know why it would be a problem to drive unless you over trim it and blow out the prop, I've done that a couple of times above 80mph and it's no fun

Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    First off, welcome to BBC and the Bullet family. A 28 pitch promax or bravo would be a good starting point. 1.5” above the pad then adjust 1/4” either way to fine tune if needed. 14” set back. There’ll be more come along with good ideas. The thing you run into in the 70’s (mph) is chine walk, the “falling” off the pad. Seat time will correct that along with help from the guys on here. Post plenty of pics. We like pics!
    On the XRS with no seat time I’d start at even with the pad and adjust from there. 16” of setback has helped some with 250s....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    On the XRS with no seat time I’d start at even with the pad and adjust from there. 16” of setback has helped some with 250s....
    Ted, with him having no seat time in a Bullet, you’re probably right. He can adjust up later. Doesn’t the xrs have the console and seat alittle forwarded causing less bow lift? Hence the farther setback.
    Last edited by WVBullet; 04-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgates2193 View Post
    So I was able to run 88 in the Champion but it was totally stable and never had an event where it really got scary. I’m completely comfortable driving thru the chime walk but what got my attention was the dealer saying how they can fall off the pad and take a hard left. Has anyone experienced this and if so why does this happen ?
    88 in champ? Nice...... one pointer.... you never drive through the Chine, if your setup right/balanced and know what your doing THERE IS NO CHINE.

12. Member
    I have a 21XDC and have only driven a friends 21XRS crossed the lake one time...the 21XDC has bow lift, trim it up a little and the bow rises. When I drove the XRS and trimmed it seems the entire boat lifted but not really the bow. I felt like I had to trim it up to get the bow to lift. I would think it would be easy to over trim the XRS to the point of blow out with out seat time...

13. Banned
    I guarantee you 88 in a champ is 10X more dangerous than 88 in an XRS.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeandthetomcats View Post
    I have a 21XDC and have only driven a friends 21XRS crossed the lake one time...the 21XDC has bow lift, trim it up a little and the bow rises. When I drove the XRS and trimmed it seems the entire boat lifted but not really the bow. I felt like I had to trim it up to get the bow to lift. I would think it would be easy to over trim the XRS to the point of blow out with out seat time...
    Don't the 21' boats all use the same hull, so why would one x boat have bow lift and another not. Curious since I just bought a 21xrd. I have been out of a Bullet for a few year now. Not sure what to expect with mine. the dealer I bought mine at discourage me from installing a sport master LU. Told me the 21' ran better on a torqe master.

15. Member
    This is the new boat.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member

Pictures

Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    I ran a sporty on my 2004 21 XDC I had with a 250XS had no problems as long as you don't load it down in the summertime, that just effected the hole shot

18. Member
    Nice rig. like the color combo

Real nice rig!

Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    Don't the 21' boats all use the same hull, so why would one x boat have bow lift and another not. Curious since I just bought a 21xrd. I have been out of a Bullet for a few year now. Not sure what to expect with mine. the dealer I bought mine at discourage me from installing a sport master LU. Told me the 21' ran better on a torqe master.
    The XD’s run fine with a sporty. I was thinking the xrs hull was basically the same as an XD, but the console and seat set a little more forwarded causing forward weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast