Alconites vs. Torzites

Fuji K Series Torzites (8 df, 7, 2 x 6, 7 x 5.5 and a tip) $94.08...Fuji K Series Alconites (8 df, 7, 2 x 6, 7 x 5.5 and a tip) $24.09...it's beyond me why anyone would pay 4 times as much for a couple of grams weight savings. I built a 2 identical spinning rods last year, one with Torzites and one with Alconites and honestly couldn't tell the difference once the reel was on it and was fishing.

Building a rod for a guy who is insisting on Torzites and I can't talk him out of it. I guess it's his money.

2. Member
    I hear ya, i don't even try to hard anymore to educate them. Whatever you want is what ye shall get. I have had them tell me they want one exactly like mine but they want torzites, mostly they come back later and say they can't tell a difference!!

I'm building a rod this week for a guy who wanted the holographic american tackle ones. I thought man these look cool then I remembered the price. I'm good with chrome on my own stuff lol.

4. Member
    The blank is a half off NFC HM flip stick (764) so it is a nice blank, but I've built a ton of nice blanks with Alconites and have never regretted it or had anyone complain. I picked up one for myself too, that one will get Alconites.

I remember when I built a rod for my daughter I let her thumb through the Mudhole catalog and she wanted the holographic ones...I think we settled on the ones with blue rings

5. Goby King
    I built one with Torzites......just cause I could. Alconites are perfectly sufficient, but I just LOVE the color of the Ti/SiC guides, so that's what most of my personal builds have. Now they have the black Ti/SiC guides and they are damn sexy. I have a set of those on the way for a 5S76MLXF-2.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    I built one with Torzites......just cause I could. Alconites are perfectly sufficient, but I just LOVE the color of the Ti/SiC guides, so that's what most of my personal builds have. Now they have the black Ti/SiC guides and they are damn sexy. I have a set of those on the way for a 5S76MLXF-2.
    And to me there's nothing better looking than black guides on a black blank with black thread and a black hood on the seat. I have started using some gray thread because my eyes are going but after I put finish on it's pretty much the same color as the raw blanks. I almost picked up some of those new fuji matte gray guides but I'm too cheap for my own rods. I just want the blank to be good.

You should see some of my personal rods. No trim, most have no hook keepers and I only occasionally put on the decal. It's like the plainest set of rods you could imagine. Actually one of my favorite spinning rods is one that I put together with leftovers from other builds.

7. Goby King
    Those dark grey Alconites are really sharp looking. I may start using those instead of black. One of my favorite wraps on a raw or grey blank is charcoal without CP. The other one is a light grey, it might be called silver shiner in prowrap. It absolutely disappears on the TiCh Rainshadows and the carbon pearl Avids.

8. Member
    I never talk my customers out of anything. the guys wanting torzites are the same guys with 20 nrx rods, even had a guy with 5 megabass arms challenge($1000 each) rods asked me to build him one. those who ask for torzites are my favorite because typically it means i have no budget to limit myself to. Which is always the first thing i ask a customer seeking a custom rod. What is there budget. If they want a $200 rod, i build base off of that. If they say, money is no problem, get me the best guides with the best blank. If you respond back with a rod that is $300 they will question it and ask if they are truely getting the best selection.
    99 Ranger 518dvx w 200 merc efi

9. Member
    Alright, I might be one of those guys that ask for torzite guides (I don’t own any rods with them?m, just saying) but there are more than weight savings to contend with isn’t there? Alconite guides are about as low as I will go as they are hard enough to withstand the abuse of braid. But Torzite guides are supposedly harder and cause less friction against the line which should theoretically result in longer casts.

I’m more asking than telling here as that’s pretty much their marketing strategy so would love to hear your insights.

10. Member
    after seeing youtube videos, i have been slowly switching over to all torzite guides for my personal rods. that's why we go customs right. build the rod to how we want it(how the customers want it).

11. Goby King
    The selling point of Torzites is and isn't weight savings, it's thinner rings. I believe if you weigh like sized SiC and Torzites, the SiC is lighter, but the thinner ring of the Torzite allows you to use the next smaller size, thus creating a lighter guide train.

12. Member
    theres a youtube video comparing the weight of the rings alone. there was like 4 rings on the torzite vs one on the sic. weight is definitely a factor. when it comes to the running guides, it might be minimal but when you have a size 30, it makes a hughe difference.

13. Member
    I havn't used a size 30 guide in 25 years. In my opinion, if your getting a lot of friction on your cast you might want to consider changing your guide train layout. Not saying it can't happen but i have yet to see an alconite guide be grooved by line. Always build what the customer wants.

14. Member
    I've got a frog rod that I built with alconites 10 years ago that gets used a lot every year with 65lb braid. I've made thousands of casts and caught countless fish on it. There's not a mark on those rings from the braid. I've read about the "sawing cycle" tests between SiC and Torzite but I don't buy that translating into actual fishing. The only thing that's ever caused a line failure on my frog rod w/65lb braid has been musky.

I guess it's like anything else when it comes to rods, there's a huge curve of diminishing returns. Take the flippin sticks I'm building. At retail, a NFC HM 764 is $285 retail, a comparable Saint Croix (5C78MHM) is $200, a comparable Hydra is (Ng FL4 or FL5) is $106 or $130 respectively. For that matter a Liberty FS764 (which is as close to a Shikari as I think you'll find) is $78, almost 1/4 of the retail NFC.

Beyond all that, let's say that the torzites made a difference with braid. I sure wouldn't use braid on that NFC HM. These are sensitive and light but aren't going to hold up to many hooksets into a log with no stretch line. I'll punch all day with that Liberty and not worry about a thing.

Everything that BASS KHANG is saying though is true though, build them how you or your customer wants them. I guess I'd rather throw that extra $70 at something else personally.