wsimpson

Any tips/tricks regarding ‘05 520 rigging path from console to battery compartment?

Need to run a transducer cable and found it more challenging than I thought yesterday evening. The access to approx 4” PVC conduit is as far starboard as possible and access is almost restricted - especially given my gorilla hands. The conduit extends from the stern to just past the access plate/tunnel foam tunnel in the starboard storage compartment - not sure how I could get a fish tape thru either end?

I removed all the faux panel screws from the plastic panels that surrounds the shifter, etc. with no apparent access point. From where all the factory wiring exits, there is practically no room and it too seems almost inaccessible for the fish tape. Under the console, there is a courtesy light that has a 4-6” plastic shroud around it that I’m going to remove and explore access there.

Am I overlooking the obvious?

Thanks...
    Last edited by wsimpson; 04-18-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: ‘03 not ‘05 520...

2. Member
    You can remove the seats and run the cable between the gas tanks and then under the shifter panel to the dash. Easy and will reduce the possibility of inductive interference in the sonar.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Removing the seat is absolutely critical. 2 large screws behind each seat back center, then 3 smaller screws buried in the carpet between the seats, then slide the whole bench forward a couple inches and lift it out.

I've not tried it in that particular boat, but I've found the thinnest plastic flexible conduit you can find at the hardware store is the best "fish tape" for running stuff through those rigging tubes you can find. This is specifically what I've got and use: https://www.menards.com/main/mainten...805143&ipos=14

Cut a notch in the end so you can stick the cable in and it won't fall out, then just shove it through. I think I've actually taped my cable on as well just to be sure. Orders of magnitude easier than an actual fish tape.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Remove the seats and run the cable up through the 12” center drain in the hull to the seats then in front of the gas tanks over to the shifter. Fish cable up to the console. I’ve done several Rangers like that as most of the conduit is inaccessible. The best fish tape I’ve found is a length of lawn mower or motor cycle throttle cable,the outer flexible part.

6. Member
    Success and closure. Really wanted to avoid removing the seats. Used the tubing recommendation to get from the stern to the storage access tunnel but it was a PITA for me; then, fish tape from under the console to the storage access tunnel - amazingly smooth. Dang. I should have tried the fishtape from under the console first as it slid past the storage access tunnel and went all the way to the stern without issue. Of course, I always like to do things the hard way - just me. Thanks for the tips...