Angry NOCO -- No start O

Thought I would post this on here also--- motor is a 2013 300XS 1E051919
    Bought this unit 6 months ago to replace an aging jump box that I successfully used to start my 3.2 ltr Mercury on a couple of occasions.
    Was convinced after posting questions and reading reports that it would have enough juice to start this big outboard in an emergency.. (WRONG)
    Fished a tournament this weekend that started out in sub freezing temperature.. motor would turn over but not start. Grabbed my new NOCO with confidence and proceeded to get disappointed... Had to pull the boat out and put a quick charge on it to get it started.
    This is the 1st Mercury I have owned that I could not jump from a hot trolling motor battery if needed.
    After that 1st failure I purchased the largest output old style jump box I could buy and carried that heavy booger for about 4 years and did successfully use it once.
    A few months ago after reading up on these new wonder starters I bought into it..

Attached Thumbnails

2. Banned
    Maybe its time to check resistance in those old battery cables.

That's a possibility -- And will replace them just because.
    But I don't think that's what kept it from starting with the aid of the NOCO when it did start after a quick 110 amp boost from a portable charger.
    This motor has been a beast to start on COLD mornings even when all was new.. Never had any problems in warm weather.

4. Member
    When was the last time you topped up the NOCO charge?

5. Member
    Just an FYI, I bought a highly rated jumper for "in case" and it would not jump my Audi. The guy came out with old school jump box and started right away....

Quote Originally Posted by MN1965 View Post
    When was the last time you topped up the NOCO charge?
    A few days before this incident.

7. Member
    I jumped a diesel mini-excavator with a dead battery with the GB40 on a zero degree day. Mine works pretty well.

8. Member
    i have same jump box with same issue as posted should have gotten the one above it should jump the pro xs.

9. Member
    I have the one above( gb70 )and the same problem.

10. Member
    I have the GB40. I left it in my buddies truck in November that sits outside in the MN winters with below zero temps - aka I hadn't charged it since October. His truck and another were dead, grabbed the GB40 that was sitting in the truck all winter and hooked up the cables and started two V8 pickup trucks instantly. That GB40 should have plenty of juice to pop off your motor, and even more so with the GB70.

Like Rich said it's worth checking your cables. I've had my main battery cable harness wire from the motor to the battery corrode on the inside of the wire coating before and had to get a new set and therefore wasn't getting full juice from the battery. Once replaced problem was fixed. Just an FYI.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    Like Rich said it's worth checking your cables. I've had my main battery cable harness wire from the motor to the battery corrode on the inside of the wire coating before and had to get a new set and therefore wasn't getting full juice from the battery. Once replaced problem was fixed. Just an FYI.
    I've seen that before with a car so I know it happens. However that car did not start until the cable was replaced even with a brand new hot battery.
    If a bad cable is my issue with this boat. Explain why it started after putting the quick charge on the battery. And has started fine ever since ??