Stringer replacement 1998 Skeeter ZX180 Question

After 20 yrs of great service the corner cutting by Skeeter has to be repaired. I'm using West system 105 Epoxy system for the waterproofing properties. The factory used staples to splice the stringers in the back half this seems half azzed to me actually worse than that as the stringers are tabbed in only not encapsulated.

The question I have is: Can I use finger joints to splice the plywood prior to encapsulation or will that stiffen the boat too much?
    My woodworking skills are excellent and have been laying fiberglass since 1975 done several epoxy topped tables.

2. Member
    here is a pic

No pics. But stiff stringers and bulkheads are better than springy/flexible.
    If you're using epoxy and fiberglass cloth to encapsulate, you could do simple butt joints, overlapped with cloth/resin - or plywood butt blocks epoxied on. Would save you a ton over doing finger joints. The epoxy/glass is far stronger than the wood it's covering, so butt joints work fine.

4. Member
    Can't figure out how to resize pics to fit. Thanx for the response your answer is what I thought. That said I can cut finger joints in my sleep. I make custom wood boxes last one was purpleheart pistol box one before was tiger striped maple keepsake box. Epoxy and E Glass fabric in 6oz 2 layers should last another 20yrs. Again thank you.