Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You guys are going to be covered up again. I know guys fishing the USA Bassin Classic and the NBAA classic are heading that way.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

2. Member
    I can’t remember where I saw it, but they tagged fish with radio transmitters once in a tournament on a major lake to see what happened after release. A very small percentage stayed where released at, but the majority were back in the area they caught them from within 2 weeks & some were caught again even on the same piece of cover that they were caught before. I wish I could remember where I read it.

I think that was BASS that did that. I thought it was very good information.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

Quote Originally Posted by Whitaker201 View Post
    I think that was BASS that did that. I thought it was very good information.
    Yep, I think it was a classic several years back during live coverage. Seems like Zona was watching them on a map.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

5. Member
    Theres no way a fish caught south of paris and taken and released at kdv goes back in a week or two, and likely never. There is a reason the ledges and bars outside of paris are as good as they are though
    They aint got hands, set the hook

6. Member
    And the females end up never spawning being drug back from new Johnsonville to the dam.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    And the females end up never spawning being drug back from new Johnsonville to the dam.
    Why is that? I can understand them suffering/starving to death from completely different environment but surely they could find a place to spawn.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I can’t remember where I saw it, but they tagged fish with radio transmitters once in a tournament on a major lake to see what happened after release. A very small percentage stayed where released at, but the majority were back in the area they caught them from within 2 weeks & some were caught again even on the same piece of cover that they were caught before. I wish I could remember where I read it.
    I'm very interested in this topic so I done a quick google. I read about four studies and every single one of them reported that the majority of bass stay near release site or within a couple miles. Smallmouth had a bigger percentage moving longer distances, but still the majority stayed close.

I couldn't find bass's study.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Why is that? I can understand them suffering/starving to death from completely different environment but surely they could find a place to spawn.
    Too stressed. They just end up absorbing their eggs.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post

11. Member
    Take your wife on a 20 mi horse ride when she’s pregnant probably will be dangerous for both of you.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallmouthguy View Post
    Take your wife on a 20 mi horse ride when she’s pregnant probably will be dangerous for both of you.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    That’s an interesting thought. I could see it being true, but do you have a source for that?

14. Member

15. Member
    Yes, most studies show that a majority hang around the release site. IF the majority returned to the area they were originally caught, BASS, FLW, ABA, etc would not spend the time and money on these release boats to transport them and release them in different areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    I'm very interested in this topic so I done a quick google. I read about four studies and every single one of them reported that the majority of bass stay near release site or within a couple miles. Smallmouth had a bigger percentage moving longer distances, but still the majority stayed close.

I couldn't find bass's study.

Dinks today for me. I tried in the bushes , 1st drops, finally got bit on main lake points with a tube. The smallmouth are very aggressive but just small. I guess pulling down the water and the full moon had the odds against me. Oh well... better than working today.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ891 View Post
    Dinks today for me. I tried in the bushes , 1st drops, finally got bit on main lake points with a tube. The smallmouth are very aggressive but just small. I guess pulling down the water and the full moon had the odds against me. Oh well... better than working today.
    Thats about what my day was like yesterday...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12