St Clair Conditions

Hi All, We are heading up to St Clair next week and I was wanting
    to know if anyone can give me some info on conditions. I know
    Spring has been late coming but I would appreciate any info. Thanks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Everything I hear is that it’s pretty blown out and water temps are in the high 30’s. The wind, cold, and snow have kept many off the lake.

I haven’t been on the lake yet, so this is all second hand.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

4. Member
    ice, snow...ice pack wont be soft till May 23rd.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

5. Member
    Well, we had an ice storm last weekend....So things aren't so good..lol...Hell, I haven't even heard if the docks are in yet...
    The only ones that I have heard of fishing are the walleye guys in the rivers...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

6. Member
    Temps are "forecasted" to moderate and warm up starting this weekend. As long as the winds cooperate it will be game on next week. Docks are in at Harley and metro, forget Crocker, it's a mess again this year and the docks aren't in. Lake should clean up pretty quick if the wind plays nice.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

I called this morning and Crocker is going to be closed until at least first week of May. Apparently they have the green light to bring the equipment in, but all of the equipment is already rented out by others and they have to wait their turn...

Good news was they said they're doing a study this year and might end up building a new ramp there 2019/2020.....

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Temps are "forecasted" to moderate and warm up starting this weekend. As long as the winds cooperate it will be game on next week. Docks are in at Harley and metro, forget Crocker, it's a mess again this year and the docks aren't in. Lake should clean up pretty quick if the wind plays nice.
    Last edited by 22RangerZ520R; 04-18-2018 at 12:06 PM.

8. Member
    Thanks for all the info guy’s. We have been coming up for the last 6 years and
    enjoy those big smallies. Good luck and be safe.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post

I called this morning and Crocker is going to be closed until at least first week of May. Apparently they have the green light to bring the equipment in, but all of the equipment is already rented out by others and they have to wait their turn...

Good news was they said they're doing a study this year and might end up building a new ramp there 2019/2020.....
    This drives me nuts !!! That launch is such a low priority !! It was the same issue last year I think it was. It had only two lanes open with real shallow water. Guys were clogging up intakes. I happened to call the DNR about it. Was the same thing. Didn't have the equipment set up to use for about another 7-10 days. I told them by that time it will all be silted in. They know each year it needs to be done. Be nice if they reserved the equipment a little earlier!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Well, we had an ice storm last weekend....So things aren't so good..lol...Hell, I haven't even heard if the docks are in yet...
    The only ones that I have heard of fishing are the walleye guys in the rivers...
    All docks are in except Crocker that will be a little while.

11. Member
    As of this afternoon (4/20), water temps are 42 degrees up and down the mile roads all the way to GPYC. Water temps are 3-4+ weeks behind. Due to recent storms, water clarity was horrible; 3-6inches (yes INCHES) in some areas. Best was about 2 feet of clarity. Some cleaner water out deeper in 12-13fow and deeper down by the 9 mile reef.

Reports of several boats that zeroed today. Bites are few and far between... anything caught is a result of fishing SLOW and on the bottom! Once water clarity improves so will the bite.

Crocker is closed until further notice (dredging). 9 mile ramps, Harley, or Metro are open.

Good luck to anyone getting out.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

It can only get better.... Warm weather it looks like the next week or so, hopefully it'll clear up quick...

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikeMN View Post
    As of this afternoon (4/20), water temps are 42 degrees up and down the mile roads all the way to GPYC. Water temps are 3-4+ weeks behind. Due to recent storms, water clarity was horrible; 3-6inches (yes INCHES) in some areas. Best was about 2 feet of clarity. Some cleaner water out deeper in 12-13fow and deeper down by the 9 mile reef.

Reports of several boats that zeroed today. Bites are few and far between... anything caught is a result of fishing SLOW and on the bottom! Once water clarity improves so will the bite.

Crocker is closed until further notice (dredging). 9 mile ramps, Harley, or Metro are open.

13. Member
    Thank you for the update. Heading there in the morning for a few days. Planned trip, just have to go with the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikeMN View Post

Water temps hit 50 degrees on Sunday afternoon. Water clarity on Mile Roads still not good. What a gorgeous day Sunday was though! Fish seem to be a bit behind "schedule" as you would expect.