Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on a 17 Cougar, coming from Phoenix 921

So i sold my 921 and im looking at a 17 Cougar. Never been in a cat and dont know anybody around here that has one to ride in. For anybody thats been in both, what can i expect? Obviously the cat will be noticably narrower up front but a good bit faster. What numbers can i expect with poles and a tourney load? Any other differences i should know about? I Came out of a TR20 w/225 before the phoenix, so driving through chine walk isnt an issue
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    go with a lynx
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Thats well out of my price range. Ive found a cougar i like and thats really the only one in question

4. Member
    out of my range also but one can dream!! dad has had several basscats, great boats!! my next boat will be one also!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

5. Member
    You won't go wrong with a cougar
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

I run a comfortable 78 with 2 guys, 2 blades, 2 full tanks, and mostly full live wells. It walks very minorly from 68-74 then just smooths out and you can drive it with one hand at that point. This is all at 1000-1750 above sea level.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I run a comfortable 78 with 2 guys, 2 blades, 2 full tanks, and mostly full live wells. It walks very minorly from 68-74 then just smooths out and you can drive it with one hand at that point. This is all at 1000-1750 above sea level.
    Very good assessment from what I have seen lately running a cougar and puma.

I'm also in the process of switching to a basscat after running Phoenix since 2010 and feel that the cats run just as good as the wide body Phoenix rigs. The cats seem to cut through the waves better than the Phoenix, where they like to ride on top landing on each crest. Both have great rides though.
    They will take a little getting used to on the driving part but with a couple hours of seat time you will be running with the most experienced.

8. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    The biggest thing I saw was the Basscat will be a lot more responsive to the trolling motor
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

9. Member
    I have a 2017 BassCat Cougar FTD. I consider Cumberland my home lake and frequently fish there even though I'm from Southern Indiana. I see you are from Campbellsvillef so assume you fish Cumberland and Green. You can look up my boat on this page regarding what is on mine. PM if interested in meeting up for a test drive or have any questions. I would be glad to help any way I can but only had mine since November.

10. Member
    I missed out on the cat i was lookin at by $1000. Im a moron and shouldve just gone ahead and paid up. It was certainly the sharpest cat on the for sale boards

There may be one on our boats for sale board.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/basscatowners/index.php

12. Member
    Some great looking boats on there also. The more i look at cats the more i like them. I know im looking for a 16-17 cougar, puma, eyra. Could somebody tell me the differences in these boats or point me in the direction of where i could find something to read up on the differences. Like i said, im coming from a phoenix 921 so i know the narrower front deck will be a factor. I
    will either buy with or put an ultrex on whatever i buy, so that makes the narrower front deck a little less noticable when fishing offshore. Thanks for any responses

I’d try and look at all three and try to get a ride in at least the Eyra and the Cougar or Puma. Cougar and Puma are the same except for deck layout. I narrowed it down between the Cougar and Eyra, decided on the Eyra. All are great choices, just a personal preference. I really like the layout of the Eyra, especially how they separated the day box on the 18 model.

14. Member
    Is the eyra a smaller boat in general? Coming out of a big phoenix id like
    to keep the biggest front deck i can get

Caracal is nearly a foot wider up front than most of the mentioned above. It would be worth tossing it in the bunch if you get looking hard. I like the deck layout alot on mine. Most still push into the low to mid 70 mph range.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Is it a Cougar FTD or Regular Cougar? The FTD will have plenty of room up front.

Even my PII fished bigger than may 21 foot boats in my club. The forward TM pedal makes a huge difference.

As far a quality, Basscat is 2nd to none.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I missed out on the cat i was lookin at by $1000. Im a moron and shouldve just gone ahead and paid up. It was certainly the sharpest cat on the for sale boards
    Thank you!
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Some great looking boats on there also. The more i look at cats the more i like them. I know im looking for a 16-17 cougar, puma, eyra. Could somebody tell me the differences in these boats or point me in the direction of where i could find something to read up on the differences. Like i said, im coming from a phoenix 921 so i know the narrower front deck will be a factor. I
    will either buy with or put an ultrex on whatever i buy, so that makes the narrower front deck a little less noticable when fishing offshore. Thanks for any responses
    Hit the Basscat Web site.

Couger and PUMA FTD - Same hull, different deck layout. Close, but a few different compartments

Erya - Rocket ship, sports car. Smallest front deck. Coffin hatches. Looks like a super fun boat to drive. For me i wanted the larger front deck. It was either a Caracal or the Cougar / Puma FTD.

I really like that layout of the Puma. There's a few other deals out there. You'll find one. There is a 2015 in Florida that is a good deal. Even comes with a bunch of tackle. If I didn't get the one i got I'd be looking at that one. I think he was asking $43K
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

19. Member
    Love the puma layout. And almost everthing about mine. Good luck on finding a cat. Great boats.. great folks.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

20. Member
    MAGA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast