Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    If you’re in southern KY I’ve watched C&O Marine do several aluminum repairs. If they can’t do it or know someone who can they are a Ranger dealer and can get it to the factory. If you’re in a hurry AR isn’t that bad a drive from here. Just depends on where you are in KY.

I got mad once letting someone load mine. They were crooked on the trailer and broke off one of my guides. I walked the trailer got in and threw it in reverse not even thinking about the dock. I whacked it pretty good. Thank goodness it was wood. It hit right where yours did, bounced right off. The only damage was the corner of the rub rail. You must have hit something solid a hard lick! I’d want that checked real good! A lick that hard would have been thousand in a glass radius.

2. Member
    Thanks everyone. It was metal struts supporting wood planks. Lee's Ford Marina at Cumberland.
    2022 Tracker PT 195 TXW
    Mercury Pro XS 150hp Four stroke
    Minn Kota Terrova 55 TM 12 volt
    Garmin Echomap 73sv on Console
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv on bow
    Garmin Livescope GLS 10

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeasley62 View Post
    Thanks everyone. It was metal struts supporting wood planks. Lee's Ford Marina at Cumberland.
    That sucks. Imagine what those metal struts would do to a glass rig!?!?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    Kbeasley62 - Best of luck w/ your repair! That is a sickening feeling...

A couple questions if you don't mind:

> Are there any lessons learned that you can share, hopefully to help someone else prevent that type of damage?
    > Did you have fenders out? If not would they have helped?
    I wondered all night what I could have done differently. Coming in to put it on the trailer, and the dock was on my right. Water was up about 15-20 feet so the ramp was narrower than usual. Gust of wind blew me off course into the dock. Thought about turning left and hard reversing but figured it would just send my bow into the dock instead. Don't think bumpers would have helped because only the corner hit. I probably could have minimized how hard I hit the dock but maybe panicked. Wind has screwed me up a few times trying to load the boat.

Open to suggestions on what I could have done differently. I'm convinced I should have an aluminum welder give me an estimate.
    2022 Tracker PT 195 TXW
    Mercury Pro XS 150hp Four stroke
    Minn Kota Terrova 55 TM 12 volt
    Garmin Echomap 73sv on Console
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv on bow
    Garmin Livescope GLS 10

5. Member
    Your pic brings back memories. Back in the day I was putting an a aluminum floor in a jon boat. I laid the piece of aluminum up on the front deck and went at with a circular saw. Too late, I realized I cut off about 2-inches from one of the front corners. Took it to a welder and had him weld it back on...good to go.

6. Member
    All you need there is a good welder

7. Member
    I wondered all night what I could have done differently. Coming in to put it on the trailer, and the dock was on my right. Water was up about 15-20 feet so the ramp was narrower than usual. Gust of wind blew me off course into the dock. Thought about turning left and hard reversing but figured it would just send my bow into the dock instead. Don't think bumpers would have helped because only the corner hit. I probably could have minimized how hard I hit the dock but maybe panicked. Wind has screwed me up a few times trying to load the boat.

Open to suggestions on what I could have done differently. I'm convinced I should have an aluminum welder give me an estimate.
    I wasn’t there so I can’t say what you could have done different? I will say when docking in the wind I try to approach and tie up into the wind. That way I keep some control and the boat will always blow away from the dock if I have to tie up like today.

Chalk it up to chit happens. You can’t undo it. If you fish long enough you’ll tear something up. Sorry you are dealing with it this time of year.

8. Banned

Try this... Slow down...approach the dock at a speed slow enough that you could stop the boat with your hands if blown into the dock. BUT DON'T USE YOUR HANDS...use a boat pole hook (see pic below)...keep it nearby when loading so you can grab it when needed.

If the wind is coming hard out of one direction line your boat up to the outside of the windy side of your trailer so by the time you reach the trailer you're aligned with it and don't need to make any large last minute adjustments.

Keep your speed slow and steady...if you seem to be out of alignment abort early and try again. If you find yourself out of alignment at the last moment and the wind is blowing you into trouble...DON'T PANIC.

Simply put your motor in neutral and get out of your seat and move to block/stop your boat from colliding with the dock...if you're moving slow enough this won't be a problem and with a proper boat pole hook it should be pretty safe. You'll be able to protect your rig and then return to your seat to try again...oh and remember to remove your kill switch before attempting to load so you're ready to jump up if necessary.

If you're power loading you'll need to throttle up at the last moment when you see you're aligned properly so you have the momentum to motor up onto the trailer.

This will help but wind has a way of f*ckin with ya so be ready and try to stay ahead of the problem before the wind has it's way with you.

Loading a boat in high wind is kinda like landing an airplane... You have to gauge the wind and adjust for drift so you're aligned with the runway...if something is off you abort the landing and go around for another approach....but you never panic and you never let the wind own you.

Good luck and be careful out there.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Original Tin; 04-21-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Edited to add important safety info.....

9. Member
    I'll normally load my trailer a little shallow on a windy day. Yesterday was a constant 20 with gust to 35. I was by myself. I dunked the trailer to wet the bunks all the way. That helps the boat slip up easier. Then I puled up further than normal. Just a hair. When I hit the bunks (OT gave good advise on approaching slow) it stuck. I made my adjustment to center. I gave it the gas to power load. Of course it didn't go all the way up. With my Trick Steps getting on and off the trailer is a breeze. I hooked the strap from the steps and then backed up a few inches, got back in the boat and finished loading. With the wind advisory there were only two trailers at the entire ramp, no sense being in a big fat hurry. If I have a newb backing I tell them to watch for my signals.

Don't mean to over simplify, some of this just comes with experience. Once again if you fish long enough you'll mess something up. Hopefully you only do it once.

If you think an outboard is hard to load try a jet drive.

Quote Originally Posted by geobass View Post
    Never ever use bondo on a boat. Just my 2 cents.
    oops just realized its not fiberglass.
    Doesnt matter--- Hod absorbs water

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I'll normally load my trailer a little shallow on a windy day. Yesterday was a constant 20 with gust to 35. I was by myself. I dunked the trailer to wet the bunks all the way. That helps the boat slip up easier. Then I puled up further than normal. Just a hair. When I hit the bunks (OT gave good advise on approaching slow) it stuck. I made my adjustment to center. I gave it the gas to power load. Of course it didn't go all the way up. With my Trick Steps getting on and off the trailer is a breeze. I hooked the strap from the steps and then backed up a few inches, got back in the boat and finished loading. With the wind advisory there were only two trailers at the entire ramp, no sense being in a big fat hurry. If I have a newb backing I tell them to watch for my signals.

Don't mean to over simplify, some of this just comes with experience. Once again if you fish long enough you'll mess something up. Hopefully you only do it once.

If you think an outboard is hard to load try a jet drive.

John I do that with my glass boat. Strong wind I live it shallow, fiddle fart around and have to back in farther after I get it started on the trailer

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Doesnt matter--- Hod absorbs water
    What is Hod?? Sorry for the stupid question but I'm always trying to learn. Thanks.

13. Member
    I was loading my boat in a pretty stiff cross wind a couple of months ago and found myself being blown towards the dock. I jumped out of the seat and reached out and grabbed the dock. I was successful in stopping the boat from hitting the dock, only problem was I broke my pinky finger in the process. I guess it was a pretty good trade off though.....It's probably easier to get your finger fixed than your boat....LOL

14. Member
    call the flex seal boat guy!

seriously though sucks to see these pics. I cant tell what's under there from the pics but a welder will want to know. if there's some seal or flotation in that rubrail, it will bubble up on a welder, so he will have to patch a piece over it and weld to good metal rather than fill and work the gap , I hope that makes sense

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    I was loading my boat in a pretty stiff cross wind a couple of months ago and found myself being blown towards the dock. I jumped out of the seat and reached out and grabbed the dock. I was successful in stopping the boat from hitting the dock, only problem was I broke my pinky finger in the process. I guess it was a pretty good trade off though.....It's probably easier to get your finger fixed than your boat....LOL
    OUCH!! Be careful out there guys!!!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RTex View Post
    call the flex seal boat guy!

Check this stuff out... I've heard it works really good. Here's a link to their site... https://alumiweld.com

Last edited by Original Tin; 04-20-2018 at 07:46 AM.

17. Banned
    The brazing rod used in this video is also Alumiweld...very strong stuff.

18. Member
    shorts and campshirt welding 101!
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post

Check this stuff out... I've heard it works really good. Here's a link to their site... https://alumiweld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    What is Hod?? Sorry for the stupid question but I'm always trying to learn. Thanks.
    Hod, mud, Bondo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    My cousin's wife ran to the front of his 20 ft. Crownline to stop it from hitting the front of his boat slip. Mashed her thumb, 2-3 operations, 20 years ago. Still has pain and isn't flexable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast