MB orochi vs Loomis NRX

For those that have fished both what are your opinions on each? I know there two different price points, but are the close in sensitivity and weight? I guess my question is, is a nrx worth the extra over the orochi?

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    The NRXs are lighter and more sensitive but that's somewhat tempered at how well the Orochi's are balanced. For me the Orochi XX's are perfect for moving baits and the NRX's for bottom contact.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Obviously you're asking about the first generation Megabass XX rods compared to NRX rods. $299 vs $500+ MSRP rods.

The intention behind the design, or concept of each series is vastly different. NRX are technique specific, really bottom contact specific rods. The Megabass rods are designed to be versatile, and at a much different price point, whether new 2018 models or the discontinued first generation models.

Sensitivity is subjective, and weight isn't the only important consideration. The Perfect Pitch is better balanced than the 894 for example, but is noticeably heavier. Generally speaking, NRX are more sensitive than XX rods, as they should be - they're bottom contact focused in general, and significantly more expensive. Factor in Megabass US Destroyer Models, and it's a different equation when comparing specific models to specific models.

Folks should also keep if/when mind buying "used" Megabass rods that the warranty is good ONLY to the original buyer of a NEW from an authorized US retailer. Megabass checks up on these things for verification should a warranty claim arise. Don't go buying used Megabass rods to save a few bucks and think you'll have a warranty should something unfortunate happen. Loomis is more forgiving in the warranty department for sure.

4. Member
    I own an NRX and a single XX. If I were to buy new right now, it would be a new XX or even the destroyer lineup (closer to the NRX price).

The NRX is more sensitive that the XX but I don’t find them to be that much more sensitive to justify the added cost. Both are great rods though.

I’m not 100% sure yet but I’m planning on getting a new drop shot rod. In my case, I’m leaning heavily towards the Destroyer Addermine over an NRX DSR.

5. Member
    I've never fished a xx, but I have handled them with reels mounted.

I've owned an 852, 893, and 894 NRX. I loved the 852, liked the 893 and didn't care for the 894.

They are sensitive, but not worth the extra $150-200 over other rods that are better balanced and just a little less sensitive.

I fish exclusively with fluorocarbon on my bottom contact rods, fwiw. With that said, the NRX was only marginally more sensitive than say a Dobyns HP. Heck, I think a gen 1 Cumara was just as sensitive.

I came from Dobyns Extremes to the NRX rods and I guess I was spoiled by balance the Dobyns had. The NRX, except the 852, felt clunky and hopping 3/4 ounce jigs through deep brush and rocks became a chore when fighting that top weight with the NRX, especially the 894. Pitching with that rod was awkward as well.

I ended up putting chair leg caps on the back of the 893 and 894, so they ended up weighing about the same as a comparable Dobyns or Orochi XX.

If g.loomis would concern themselves with building balanced rods and quit working about total rod weight, they would have something truly special and worthy of the price tag for a production rod. You just can't build a 4.5 ounce 7'5 heavy action rod that balances close to the reel seat, unless you build it with a 12"+ handle. I really wanted to love them.

I haven't got to handle the Destroyer USA series. I keep hearing how they balance better than the NRX. If sensitivity is close, it would be a no brainer at $150 less msrp.
    2004 Pro Craft 210 Super Pro
    Mercury Racing Optimax 250XS
    Lowrance HDS 7 & 8

6. Member
    Skeeter I know you have at least owned a few NRX rods. Because I have seen you list at least one for sale or trade on here before. So you already know what the NRX offers (I believe you had/have the 893c).

The prior Orichi XX rods are great rods. Balance and them being full cork grip handles are the main difference plus I don't think they are as sensitive as a NRX. Like Gary mentioned they are more versatile than a NRX. Take rods like the PP or EMTF and cover about 6 techniques with both. Then take the 893 and 894 and you really only accomplish jig/worm fishing.

Given the discontinued Orichi XX rods that are being discussed with only a few different models left in inventory I would be looking at one of the Gen 2 rods that will be released shortly or something else unless you are not concerned about warranty issues.

7. Member
    I believe the answer to your question is yes, the Loomis is worth the difference. I agree with Bronzefly’s analysis. I am a G. Loomis fan. I’ve had everything from Ex6, IMX, GLX, NRX all the way to the new Conquests. I currently have three of those, one GLX, and an IMX Pro. I love Megabass products. I didn’t love the Megabass XX rods. I wanted to, but it (Trap Special) was way too heavy. The NRX might compare more favorably to a Megabass Destroyer, but not the XX. I also agree with Bronzefly about the warranty. I had rather have five rods that I love vs 15 set ups that were a good price. If you are even asking about an NRX, I would consider the Conquest. Maybe Bronzefly could get you a deal on one of those.

8. Member
    I bought all of my NRX used or dealer rep so I've never paid retail which IMO is just crazy, but for $325-400 I'm comfortable with the investment. I also have my fair share of megabass rods and am a fan, but when it comes to bottom contact I prefer my NRX. I also like the fact that if I break my NRX I can pay $100 and get a new one.

9. Member
    I bought 3 new nrx rods 893, 894, and 895. I never removed tags and sold them immediately once i felt their balance. I then bought megabass destroyer and very happy. Im a big loomis fan and have owned several, but balance is a big issue for me. I' sure nrx are great for some, but just not my thing due to lack of balance.