Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Another option for you is to get the 52" and have the shaft cut down to a 45". It would give you the opportunity to experience the 52" in action and you can decide whether you want it shortened or not.
    Thats not a bad idea... Would cutting it down kill your warranty??

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevee k View Post
    As much as it pains me to have to wait even longer for this boat the pros don’t outweigh the cons. Fml
    Tough it out and wait Young Jedi... Take salvation in the fact that you are now part of an elite organization known as The Brotherhood! (hold your right fist aloft when you say that)

BTW - I've the 45 on mine and it's fine in choppy, windy conditions. I could lower mine about 3 more inches but don't see the need and I certainly wouldn't want one that sticks up any higher.
    Last edited by King_Fish; 04-19-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Banned
    if you fish Erie at all, you'll regret not going 52"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Another option for you is to get the 52" and have the shaft cut down to a 45". It would give you the opportunity to experience the 52" in action and you can decide whether you want it shortened or not.
    I think the mount is different between the two shaft lengths. It would still stick out too far when stowed

5. Member
    I understand the pro to having the longer shaft in rough water. And i do live in a area (upsate new york) with lakes and rivers that have big chop at times. But in all honesty can the boat itself handle being on water so big tht the TM comes out the water anyway.
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12” - bow
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 12” - console

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevee k View Post
    I understand the pro to having the longer shaft in rough water. And i do live in a area (upsate new york) with lakes and rivers that have big chop at times. But in all honesty can the boat itself handle being on water so big tht the TM comes out the water anyway.
    Better question... Would you fish in a place where the waves were so big the TM breaks the surface??

The boat can probably handle it but are you a tourney guy?? Do you really need to fish in those conditions??

Personally I would just move to a place with less chop...a protected bay or canal...but it's a little different down here.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    Better question... Would you fish in a place where the waves were so big the TM breaks the surface??

The boat can probably handle it but are you a tourney guy?? Do you really need to fish in those conditions??

Personally I would just move to a place with less chop...a protected bay or canal...but it's a little different down here.
    I'm not a tourney fisherman, but if I'm on Lake Erie, and the chop is enough to bring the TM out of the water at times, and I'm on 4-6 lb smallies, i'm not going ANYWHERE until weather gets worse. Doesn't take much on Erie to have the "swells" bring your TM out on every swell.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I'm not a tourney fisherman, but if I'm on Lake Erie, and the chop is enough to bring the TM out of the water at times, and I'm on 4-6 lb smallies, i'm not going ANYWHERE until weather gets worse. Doesn't take much on Erie to have the "swells" bring your TM out on every swell.

Like I said...it's a little different down here... You can find 4-6 lb largemouth everywhere here.

No need to beat yourself up over it.

9. Member
    I'm with OT...I've not fished the Great Lakes, But I HAVE fished some NASTY southern lakes. I am talking lakes that have made believers out of even the pro's that run big boats all the time. I've only had two big boats in my life, the 20' Cougar and I fished from a 22' Champ team boat for a year. All the rest of the big boats I have were demo deals or a partners. All my personal boats have been 17 or 18 footers. I cut my teeth on Santee Cooper with a 17 footer for ten years. If you don't think that lake gets rough...go on with yer bad self LOL.

I won't doubt that you need a 52 on Erie. If you say so. I am saying around here if it gets that bad you better head for cover in a RT 198 or 188. I ALWAYS grab my rain gear and suggest my passenger do the same. It's going to be a long 20-30 MPH ride back to the ramp when the wind gets up. We get there, but it's not exactly the same as making the run in the 20' Cougar. FWIW one of the guys I've fished with for 20 years recently sold his 19' Xpress. I've spent LOTS of time in that boat. It was a little better than my 188 with it's pad hull. If the wind was up he always wanted to take the Champs I had over the years or one of my Cats. He has a big Stroker with a 300 now. Now we will take his.

10. Member
    Yes sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post

Like I said...it's a little different down here... You can find 4-6 lb largemouth everywhere here.

No need to beat yourself up over it.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

11. Member
    I would personally wait on the 45", I just installed the ultrex on my boat last night. I went from a 45" fortrex and couldn't believe how much bigger of a motor the ultrex is. I used the same holes as the fortrex was mounted in and I now have about 6" of overhang off the side of the boat when the motor is stowed, couldn't imagine adding another 7" of shaft length to it!!

Not to hijack the thread but for the guys that have installed the ultrex, how far is you shaft from the boat when deployed? Mine is 5-6" from bow of boat, I don't remember my fortrex being that far away from the boat....used the same holes to remount

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    I used the same holes as the fortrex was mounted in and I now have about 6" of overhang off the side of the boat when the motor is stowed, couldn't imagine adding another 7" of shaft length to it!!
    I thaught about tht too. I talked to the dealer and they said since a motor hasnt been installed on the boat yet they are able to install it at certain angle where it doesn’t overhang so much. And theyll actually modify the boat cover to fit the motor at no extra cost.
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12” - bow
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 12” - console

13. Member
    I have a 45" Ultrex. If the chop is so bad my TM is coming out of the water, I'm taking it to the house! I guess you could say I'm a fair weather fisherman. Having said that, I currently have the top of my motor to where it is 16" below the water line and I could lower it another 3 inches. I've been in some pretty decent chop and never had a problem with it coming out of the water. For me, a 52" would be way longer than I would want to deal with.

14. Member
    I managed with a 60” shaft on my Terrova on a Bass Tracker 190tx so I imagine a 52 will be fine on the 198p. It did get in the way once in a while but you get used to it.

I did go with the 45” shaft on the new boat though. Hoping I didn’t make a mistake but I’m in shallow more than I’m out deep.’

3-4 weeks vs how many years will you own the boat. I’d wait.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12