Asian Carp....any one tried eating them?

Seems to have a lot of bones. Just curious if anyone had tried them.

2. Member
    Had a piece at a fish fry, the KDFWR had brought. They do have big bones in them. It was flaky white fish, and it tasted pretty good fried. Definitely not the best, but not the worst fish I've had, either.

3. Member
    If someone would find a recipe that worked ( maybe Blackened) perhaps we could get rid of a ton of them.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Had a piece at a fish fry, the KDFWR had brought. They do have big bones in them. It was flaky white fish, and it tasted pretty good fried. Definitely not the best, but not the worst fish I've had, either.
    Can't remember who brought it, but I fried some up at a SmallJaw event a few years ago. It wasn't bad.

Not sure I would mess with cleaning them for it.

Stratos 21XL Magnum
    Mercury 250 Pro XB

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JYoung022 View Post
    Can't remember who brought it, but I fried some up at a SmallJaw event a few years ago. It wasn't bad.

Not sure I would mess with cleaning them for it.
    Yeah thats where it was, but i don't remember the guys name who brought it.

6. Member
    Youtube Cooking and Cleaning them. There is a lot of info on there... I haven't tried one yet but keep swearing I will. everything I am hearing says it is a wonderful fish to eat once you master filleting it? We'd never dent them.. but it should be no trouble catching all you want with a sharp weighted treble hook on your deck on the ready?

7. Member
    I can't quite figure out that, if these things are reasonably edible, why a big push hasn't been put on by the Feds or the States to make them a source of food.

They spend gazillions of dollars on electrifying rivers to try to stop them.
    If they were a good food source, they'd be fished hard and the population would be cut down with little or no cost to the Bureaucrats??????

8. Member
    No one wants to eat them because of their name (carp.) Carp are bottom feeding fish that have not been consumed by the masses in the US. It's hard for everyone to throw everything they have ever known out the window (you don't eat carp) and try the Asian Carps.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

9. Member
    Call them something besides Carp and people would eat it.

I think they are what's used to make imitation crab meat, and that stuff is delicious.

10. Member
    Pollock, Whiting, or Cod is what's used for imitation crab.

Was talking about this to a buddy of mine and he said some of the folks in his area actually eat them quite often. They slightly boil to pre-cook then flake and make fried fish cakes out of them. I have done this with catfish just to change it up.

Stratos 21XL Magnum
    Mercury 250 Pro XB

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    If someone would find a recipe that worked ( maybe Blackened) perhaps we could get rid of a ton of them.
    A ton will do nothing. Need to get rid of millions of pounds of them.