Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Easier to cool a supercharger than a turbo. Exhaust housing on a turbo would get HOT under the cowling. Plus high output 4 cylinders down lend themselves to creating gobs of torque down low. I have a feeling they're going with the V8 not only from a torque perspective, but the thing it's probably barely breaking a sweat while doing it. Which will lend itself to a long life and fewer issues.
    ^^^^ This is EXACTLY why they're doing it.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
    I get some of the heat issues but a 1.4L vw engine that makes 150hp has 180 ft lbs of torque from 1500-4500 rpm. Seems like that would be useful in a boat.
    Run that engine at WOT for 30 minutes to one hour on a regular basis and see what the longevity is like.
    This was discussed in another 4-stroke Mercury thread.
    I said that I thought Merc should go with a big displacement engine that doesn't have to work as hard to maintain 250hp for long periods.
    Yes there were lots of people that thought small displacement working harder would save weight, but most people want this motor to last for longer than 4-5 years.
    Don Weed confirmed that the new engine would be large displacement, for the exact reasons posted above.

The mercruiser racing inboard engines are using water cooled turbos i believe, turbos probably wont happen on the outboard, but they have a ton of info/knowledge at thier disposal, and alot of stuff is already proven in the 4stroke race game on that side...cant wait to see what it is!!

4. Member
    I believe Mercury is doing a V8 for the low end torque and directly competing with the Yamaha 350. Yamaha has had their issues lately with the 350 being one with the fly wheel changes and horrible gas mileage. And now they have a shortage of outboards with some dealers telling customers there is a year wait on a 300. And of course their know corrosion issues. Suzuki has gained a huge market share of the repower market with the 200-300hp and now their 350 duo prop. All of the above i talked about has to do with the saltwater market and that will be a huge market for these new engines.

deposit put down
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 04-18-2018 at 10:43 PM.

6. Member
    What they really need is a three speed transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    What they really need is a three speed transmission.
    Seven marine makes a 557 & 627 if ya want a tranny

8. Member
    There is no replacement for displacement.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    I thought many on the BBC were advocating reducing HP and enacting strict Speed Limits on Bass Boats?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Run that engine at WOT for 30 minutes to one hour on a regular basis and see what the longevity is like.
    This was discussed in another 4-stroke Mercury thread.
    I said that I thought Merc should go with a big displacement engine that doesn't have to work as hard to maintain 250hp for long periods.
    Yes there were lots of people that thought small displacement working harder would save weight, but most people want this motor to last for longer than 4-5 years.
    Don Weed confirmed that the new engine would be large displacement, for the exact reasons posted above.
    Does anyone buy a Mercury and expect it to last more than 5 years?
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

11. Member
    According to the link those guys are talking like it will be a 2 stroke, i thought Merc was out of the 2 stroke game.

12. Member
    No point of a v8 2 stroke. It will just be a heavier motor. It's also proof that nobody knows

13. Banned
    So does is look like the new 150 pro xs 4 stroke or those ugly bigger 4 strokes?, anyone have any spy pics of said engine?

14. Member
    Does anyone really need to get to a spot that fast? My 150 gets me there just fine. Maybe I just don't understand the "mines faster than yours" mentality.
    Y'all be careful out there and don't catch'em all!

15. Member
    Merc has built their last 2 stroke.

16. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by East TN.Hunt-n-Fish View Post
    Does anyone really need to get to a spot that fast? My 150 gets me there just fine. Maybe I just don't understand the "mines faster than yours" mentality.
    You’ve never appreciated anything for its speed before?

Quote Originally Posted by East TN.Hunt-n-Fish View Post
    Yes. I suck at fishing so I like to go fast. I’m 50 going on 18, still get a thrill out of going fast in whatever I’m in. Gotta make up for the slowness of the C130

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    There is no replacement for displacement.
    If your only goal is max hp.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    If your only goal is max hp.
    The goal is reliability.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast