'05 Ranger 520 Bass Boat Seats Coinbox Install

Saw this center console from Bass Boat Seats on here and thought it would be a good addition for my older Ranger, and a lot (~500$) cheaper than the one I wanted from Ranger. At first I thought this would be super easy, but I was wrong. I knew all of the seats would be connected, but I didn't expect the center seat support to extend into the driver and passenger seats about 4" on each side, and I didn't expect the Driver and Passenger seats to be upholstered as one unit with the center seat hiding all of the staples and extra vinyl.

Step by step:

1. Remove the back portion of the center seat
    2. Remove the three screws that fasten the carpeted metal pan where the center seat is to the back deck of the boat. These fasteners are just hidden in the carpet and pretty easy to spot.
    3. Remove the center portion of the driver and passenger seats and remove the two massive screws on each side that hold the backs to the back deck.
    4. Slide the entire seat assembly towards the bow, then the whole thing is free.
    5. Unclip the center seat bottom cushion from the back (stern side) and then remove the staples on the front to completely get rid of it. Should be left with a plastic support structure only and the other two seats.
    6. Drill out rivets, and pull staples until the plastic support is free from both seats. This is the tedious part, as the rivets are underneath the foam and vinyl of the other two seats.
    7. Contemplate what to do next, as this project is going to take way longer than originally estimated.

At this point, I decided to do the best I can to reupholster the driver and passenger seats, and make a new support for the coin box. I contemplated using the existing plastic thingy, but it needed some intense modification because it is contoured for a butt, and not very flat. I started down that route, but then decided to go with plywood for ease of use. I got an 18"x18.5"x1.5" sheet of pressure treated plywood by gluing two 3/4" plywood panels together, then glassed them with resin only. Drilled the mounting and drain holes I wanted, glassed again trying to make the holes waterproof as well. No pics yet, but I was able to mount the coinbox to the panel with 4 1/4" T nuts on the bottom of the panel and 4, 2"x1/4" bolts. The Panel was snug enough to just be held in place on its own, but I do plan on making a clamp that grabs the front lip of the fiberglass. This method also allows each seat to be removed independently for future mods and seat replacement if I ever want to do that. The coinbox and panel survived their maiden voyage, and I plan to finish it either this week or next with another coat of glass, sanding, paint, and an automotive topcoat. The coinbox itself will be removable with four bolts, then the panel will be removable with two bolts hidden underneath the coinbox. Those bolts will go into a clamp wich grabs the fiberglass and secures the whole thing. More pics to come of panel and finished assembly.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    watching this. thanks!
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

3. Member
    Pictures with the wooden panels installed and some automotive undercoating spray on the step portion for traction. I found the step to be a little slippery in the wet, jury is still out on this being a permanent solution. I do really like the utility of the coinbox over the third seat though.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    did you have trouble getting the screws out of the back of center seat. my screws just turn will not come out . cant get a grip on the screws.

5. Member
    Are they holding the metal seat bracket onto the pan? Those had tiny nuts on the backside under the carpet.

6. Member
    I think so about five screws. Can you just take out the three screws in metal pan. And pull the whole seat out.

7. Member
    Once the three screws are out and the ones in the back of the driver and passenger seat are out, the whole seat assembly will slide forward to clear the clips on the front, then it is free. Those additional five screws do not attach the plate to the boat.