Procraft and Smartcraft

My boat/motor are both 2006's and was configured with analog gauges at the helm. Last summer my tach crapped out on me, and my speedo is intermittent. So now this is a great excuse for an upgrade and I would like to switch over to Smartcraft.

I’ve done some research and have determined that my boat was pre-rigged with the 14-pin harness that runs from the motor to the helm and that its carrying the Smartcraft data. At the helm I have what appears to be Procraft’s homebrew (but factory) answer to an analog harness that connects to the 14-pin cannon-plug (I have disconnected this factory harness and will try to upload a picture of it)

My goal is to find a short harness (3’-6’) that will connect to my 14-pin plug that will allow me to retain my ignition/kill switch/throttle/trim but allow the connection of a Smartcraft junction box so that I can add whatever Smartcraft gauges that I decide to buy.

The less preferred method would be to dissect the factory harness and add the necessary Smartcraft CAN, 10-pin, and terminators to it. But I can see this way being a huge pain in the arse…

Have any of you fellow Procrafters dealt with this factory harness before and upgraded to Smartcraft?

2006 ProCraft 200 Combo, 150 Opti, 19p Silverado prop, no jack plate
    Alberta, Canada

2. Member
    Alberta, Canada

I do not see a Smartcraft plug in that picture. Which one do you think it is?

Look at this thread. Specifically look at the picture under the “Vessel View Link” section. The blue cable is what a standard Smartcraft cable looks like.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....952&highlight=
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-17-2018 at 01:12 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I don’t see anything resembling the 10-pin Smartcraft plug either. The big square white plug has 10 connections inside of it but after that there are wires going to all kinds of various places in my console (mainly analog gauges, ignition, etc).
    The closest thing I can find to what I have currently is this (but with a couple extra wires);
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/142299985383?vectorid=229529&item=142299985383&rmv SB=true

I think what I need is a much shorter version of this to solve my problem (like 6’ long max);

https://greatlakesskipper.com/mercury-84-896537t20-quicksilver-boat-instrument-harness-assembly

Alberta, Canada

I think your best bet is to call Don or Rhonda Weed and get PNs for exactly what you need. I would suggest you buy from them but Mercury’s rules prevent them shipping out of the USA.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Just a little update; I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through my quest to go from analog to Smartcraft...

Between Don, the Mercury support line, and the internet it was confirmed that the big cannon plug that is factory installed is carrying data. It looks like Procraft installed P/N: 84-892451A20 (or similar), ran it from the engine to the helm, and then they connect it to their own analog pig-tail-style harness (the one I posted a picture of).

I pulled out all of the analog gauges and the factory pig-tail and replaced the pig-tail with Mercury P/N: 84-896537K02. This is a 6' long harness that connects to the big round cannon plug on one end and includes a Smartcraft Aux plug, connections for Trim and Kill switch, a new ignition switch with keys, warning horn, and the much needed rectangle-shape plug to connect to a Smart craft Junction box. I also grabbed a used 6-port junction box off of Ebay (Mercury P/N: 878492K16). I don't need all of those ports, but the gauge was very cheap so I grabbed it.

I then bought a Tach (P/N: 79-8799051K), Speedo (P/N: 79-879903K), and a square style Smartcraft SC1000 System Monitor (P/N: 79-879896) and mounted them all in the dash. I'm still on the hunt for matching 2" Smartcraft Fuel and Trim Gauges to fill the two empty holes. I'm debating on whether I even get the trim gauge or not because the System Monitor displays trim...might be redundant.

Once I connected everything it all worked as it should. I haven't tested the Speedo yet because I haven't hit the water. Hopefully in the next couple of days. I can also calibrate the trim settings on the System Monitor while I'm out on the water. I also still have to splice my bow-mounted trim switch into the mix somewhere still as well.

One thing that stalled me a bit was the "Master Power" switch that came factory on my 200 Combo. It does not integrate at all into the Smartcraft harness but into the boats power harness. I had to trace the wires from the Master Power switch backwards to the factory "birds nest" and keep one part of the old harness just so this switch would function. Without that switch you dont get any power to the Accessory, Livewell, Bilge, Nav/Anc switches etc. Took about an hour or so to modify that old harness piece but its all working now as it should.

So far Ive spent about $300 USD on all of the P/N's I listed which I dont think is too shabby. I have about another $100 USD to go if I grab the fuel and trim gauges. I would have really liked the matching Tach/Speedo with the LCD screens on the bottom but I'm replacing my carpets right now as well and the extra few hundred $$ wasn't in the cards.

Anyways, just thought I'd post an update as I hate when threads just die with no conclusion. I will update again once everything is all done and fully tested.
    Alberta, Canada