Thread: Duracell AGMs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duracell AGMs

Its about time for new batteries in my boat and would like to put in AGMs. Has anyone used the Duracell Platinum from Batteries + Bulbs? They are running 15% off right now so can get a pretty good deal. This is going to be used as a dual purpose battery, cranking for 200hp ProXs and for electronics, Helix 10 and an 858 HD and occasional live well use. Looking at the group 31. Is that overkill or should I go for the group 27? Thanks for any help!

Keith
    2013 Nitro Z-8 200hp Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    I think some Merc's are not supposed to use AGM batteries due to charging circuit in motor being weak. I use a Duracell 31AGM in my boat but I have a 4 stroke Suzuki. Got it at Sam's club for $180 3 years ago.

3. Banned
    I probably have the same on but from Sam's. They have been good so far and I bought them in Nov.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I think some Merc's are not supposed to use AGM batteries due to charging circuit in motor being weak. I use a Duracell 31AGM in my boat but I have a 4 stroke Suzuki. Got it at Sam's club for $180 3 years ago.
    can anyone confirm this right or wrong just put an agm in for my crank figures 150hp merc pro xs i have poles and set of hds9s and a group 27 crank wasn't cutting it for me switched to group 31 agm

5. Member
    I use a Duracell 31 AGM for my 250 ProXS - great battery. I had one in my last boat as well.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I use the Exide AGM 31 for my Pro XS 200. Got it from the recommended list that Don posted on Merc page. Going on 3rd yr with no issues.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

ANY OPTIMAX engine can use this battery

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Same one I use. Bought in Feb 2014. 3 different motors (225 Opti, 250 Pro XS and 300XS). Same battery. Charging 24/7 when not used

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I use the Exide AGM 31 for my Pro XS 200. Got it from the recommended list that Don posted on Merc page. Going on 3rd yr with no issues.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

9. Member
    I thought the group 31 AGM battery didn't meet the cranking reserve for a opti ?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    ANY OPTIMAX engine can use this battery
    This. The Optimax has an alternator and will run an AGM without issue. The issue, or at least potential issue, is with motors with stator charging systems.

The battery in question is a Deka Intimidator AGM with different stickers. Awesome battery for the price.

Minimum is 800 cca or 1000 mca for an Optimax. It meets the minimums.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

It's the biggest group available. Why wouldn't it? You have 24's, 27's, 29's then 31's.

See link from Mercury 3.0L boards: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....batteries+meet

Quote Originally Posted by Srt1010 View Post
    I thought the group 31 AGM battery didn't meet the cranking reserve for a opti ?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

12. Member
    That 31 AGM from Batteries Plus (or from Sam's) just meets the cranking requirements of an Optimax. If you use accessories like most of us do (electronics, livewells, shallow anchors, etc). then you should be exceeding that 800 cca minimum by at least 150 cca's as suggested by Don Weed. There frequently seems to be some confusion here. That data in the list of recommended batteries was provided by Mercury R and D for engines only.

From Don:

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: In a fishing application, DO NOT attempt to use the "minimum" specification as your cranking battery!!! You must add capacity for every electrical device in or attached to your boat!

950+ CCA (950 CCA or higher) is strongly recommended.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    I've got lots of guys telling me they're running the 31 sams battery on opti motors and electronics without any problems at all?

14. Member
    I'm on year two with this battery with 225 Opti. I run 2 hds8's and a hds 9, plus livewell recirc. Haven't had any issues

15. Member
    I have the 31 AGM Duracell. 250 Opti, 2 HDS 12, 2 power poles, 2 livewells, hydrowave, plus running lights on when night fishing. No issues.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    I've got lots of guys telling me they're running the 31 sams battery on opti motors and electronics without any problems at all?
    You can add me to that list...
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

17. Member
    I’ve ran the Sam’s Duracell AGM’s for 6 months on my trolling motor. I don’t need a starting motor battery yet. I’ll check the stator situation when it’s time. I have a 115 4S ProXS. The AGM’s have been stout on my trolling motor. They charge good and hold a charge WAY better than the wet cell. By that I mean if I go out right now and hook up my charger (make sure your charger is compatible) the three lights will come on charging. The two AGM’s will turn green within a minute, the one lead acid might take five to top off? The longer they sit the longer it takes the lead acid. The AGM’s just don’t seem to drop sitting idle. The lead acids they replaced were junk. They were going dead 13 months after I got the boat. I’m hard on trolling motor batteries fishing current and grass frequently. In fairness I went from 27’s to 31’s.

I bought a 31 AGM at Sams this spring on sale. My pro Xs has never started as good as it does now.
    So far so good.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

19. Member
    Hope they have some left..I need one

20. Member
    Boat alternators are known to be undersized compared to cars. A GOOD STARTER motor should spin fast enough to start in 2 seconds ....AT MOST.

BUT

If the alternator is being .....RATED at 5000 rpm ? The battery will run down over time. Biggest fact about boat batteries. Charging systems are undersized !!

If a battery is not kept fully charged up WHEN NOT RUNNING IT ?? You are destroying the Lead purity of all the cell plates. Known fact of Lead acid types.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast