Thread: 2000 BassCat

2000 BassCat

Hello, My wife ran across a Doctor that works in her department is looking to sell his 2000 Basscat. All I know is it is a 19 footer and has a mercury 150 on it. I guess he bought the boat new in 2000 and supposedly the boat has less than 50 hrs on it. He winterized it in 2016 and it hasn't moved since. Sorry I don't think know which model it is at this time but I just looking for some info and what to look for as I'm going to look at it this weekend. He is asking 12k for it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, have a good day.

2. Member
    Try and find out the model. Pantera?
    Tandem axle trailer? 50 hrs in 18 years is near nothing. That could be good and bad. Lower unit oil change? Water impeller replaced? Definitely don't buy without compression checks.
    You may have stumbled on an excellent used boat. But get us more info.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Bass boy Ron
    I have a 2000 Pantera III that I just bought 6 months ago. Awesome boat. I had a 1995 Champion 202 that I lost in the Northern Cal wild fires. This has a Optimax 200. Yes do a compression test and a water pump impeller/ lower unit oil. I paid 12k for mine.
    Check to see if the super dash lights up (if you have that). I upgraded the sonar to Humminbird helix 10's and a Minn kota Ultrex! Love the boat! Winning combo. My boat does 70 mph+ with a 4 blade prop and light fuel load.

4. Member
    I am going to look at it on Friday evening so I will follow up with more info. I hope I find a good buy as I will be coming out of an old bass tracker with a 35 hp.

plus your wife found it, that's 3/4 of the battle right there

6. Member
    Sounds like a winner to me. I'm about to get a 2000 Pantera Classic. My dad got it 2-3 years ago and it only had 60 hours on the 15 then.

7. Member
    Ok so I went and looked at the boat. It is a Pantera Classic. It has a couple cosmetic things wrong with it. The gel coat seems to be coming off in a few places. For the year of the boat its in good condition. As for the motor, it is a mercury 150 EFI saltwater edition. He said its the original motor and only has about 20 hrs on it. Something doesn't seem to add up cause he moved from Missouri so not sure why he put the saltwater edition on it, unless he lived close to saltwater before Missouri. The Motor was wintized the end of 2016. The water pump was changed at the same time. It hasn't seen water since than. Of course none of the batteries were charged so I couldn't turn nothing on. Original Motorguide trolling motor and no updated electronics. He told me someone offered him $8500 and would let me have it for $8500. Hes just ready to unload it so I don't think I could get him to do a compression check. Another thing is I guess he docked the boat where someone took the boat in and out so it doesn't have the original trailer. it is a single axle ranger trail trailer and they added additional bunks to accommodate the boat. Since I couldn't turn nothing on or hear the motor, I don't know if I can give $8500 or am I crazy. Any feedback is appreciated.

I would at least try and take a battery to it and see if it turns over. Better yet tell him you will give him the $8500 once you take it to a shop and have them check it out. If he say's no to that then I would pass, Your right something is not adding up.

THIS CHECK THE MOTOR OR NO DEAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    I would at least try and take a battery to it and see if it turns over. Better yet tell him you will give him the $8500 once you take it to a shop and have them check it out. If he say's no to that then I would pass, Your right something is not adding up.

10. Member
    I would politely pass if it were me. Plenty of good boats with less story about them and matching trailers and updated components for not much more money. Sounds like it was not taken care of fully and he wants to just off load it to be the next man's issue.

Just my .02

Nope... Mismatched motor and trailer just sounds hinkey. Who would ever swap out a BCB trailer for a Ranger Trail?

12. Member
    I ended up passing on it. Just to many unknowns. Thanks for the feedback.

13. Member

14. Member
    Good decision. You can find a boat. Take your time.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”