Thread: Planing Issues

Planing Issues

I bought a 19', 1993 Bass Cat with a 175 Evinrude Intruder. Motor seems strong and runs well once on plane but it takes an extremely long time to get out of the hole. I'll trim all the way down/in, get on the throttle, and just when the bow acts like it wants to come down the boat "sits" and acts like it's "stuck". Keeping the throttle open it will eventually (over what seems to be 20 to 30 seconds) it will gain speed and plane out.

I've tried adding a photo to show where the motor sits but it will not let me. The anti-ventilation fin is about 3 inches above the bottom of the boat. That seems high to me and thought it should be close to even with the bottom of the boat. It also is somewhat difficult to steer once on plane.

Some help here would be great!

2. Member
    Few questions:
    1) what is your prop to pad height
    2) what is your constant engine rpm during this '20-30 seconds' when coming out of the hole
    3) is the prop 'venting' or breaking free during takeoff or is it biting the whole time
    4) what prop are you running (provide pitch and does it have vent holes)
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

3. Member
    Center of prop to pad, about 5 to 6 inches below pad
    Didn't read the RPMs, but sounded as if motor was running as it should
    Didn't notice any venting. Prop sounded as if it was in the water good the whole time
    The prop is a Precision Propeller, Turbo O 14.25X24

4. Member
    come up to 4 or 3-1/2 below and see how it does. Need to know rpms at break over as well to determine if venting will help

5. Member
    Prop does have vent holes. 3 total and they are not plugged.

So my motor needs to be higher? I was afraid it was too high as it is.

Also, there is a pin that serves as a stop when you trim the motor all the way down/in. I moved it to the lowest hole possible to allow the motor to get “under” the boat as possible. I’ll hopefully try it out and get a RPM reading in the next couple of days.

I might double check the prop to pad setting before you move anything. 5-6 inches below pad seems pretty low. I don't know if you have seen this link here: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=157208 But I would check it out before you start moving anything so you know exactly where you are at. Also, my first instinct would be to reach out to the previous owner. It seems strange to me that it would be set up to run poorly.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

7. Member
    The previous owner mentioned the boat was slow to plane out, but I wasn't expecting this.

I did some more research on the prop height. I then leveled the boat, then the motor. I was 5-3/4" below pad. I raised the motor to what I keep reading would be a more standard setup of about 3-1/2". I couldn't get the 2-1/4" difference without mounting the motor in different mounting holes, so I moved it slightly under 2". The result, the boat planed out in about half the time, but it's still slow in my opinion. The RPM gauge doesn't work (it's the original digital gauge) but it sounds as if I'm not giving it enough fuel but the throttle is buried. Is that a sign of dirty carbs or is there adjustments in the throttle linkage? Or something else???

An additional question is about the fuel tank selector. It's currently using the tank behind the drivers seat and the selector is pointed toward that tank. My thought was the selector should be pointing to the left toward that tank but that wasn't the correct. In the "up" position is where the oil injection line comes in. I didn't try any other positions in fear of messing something up. Anyone that has that setup I would appreciate which position would be for that tank.

There are several factors that could be coming into play here. Knowing what your rpms are would help eliminate some questions. I would suggest getting your rpm gauge fixed for starters and having the engine checked out. That might eliminate some time and money on chasing other items. What kind of weight load are you carrying in your boat?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    I don't see where it says Pantera II but I know it's a Pantera.