Thread: Skeg Gaurd

Skeg Gaurd

I'm thinking about installing one on my 200 Optimax just for the added protection........pros & cons from anyone else that has one on their motor is appreciated!

2. Member
    I might look into this too.

3. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    You can view these and the fitment chart at Gator Guard's web site, or if you have any questions in particular, shoot me an IM and I will get back with you.
    American Made, Family Owned.

https://www.gator-guards.com/skegshield-skeg-guard/

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have had one for about 5 years on my Fastrike and it is nice looking and takes a beating also and still looks great
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobs21X View Post
    You can view these and the fitment chart at Gator Guard's web site, or if you have any questions in particular, shoot me an IM and I will get back with you.
    American Made, Family Owned.

https://www.gator-guards.com/skegshield-skeg-guard/
    That looks like something I might put on my ProXs. Not sure how its held on though, if there is no drilling, etc. The previous owner chipped the trailing edge of the skeg on my boat. It doesn't hinder the engine performance, but it just doesn't look all that great.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    That looks like something I might put on my ProXs. Not sure how its held on though, if there is no drilling, etc. The previous owner chipped the trailing edge of the skeg on my boat. It doesn't hinder the engine performance, but it just doesn't look all that great.
    I'm pretty sure it requires a couple of through holes to be drilled Bill, this has been one of the draw backs for me in regards to pulling the trigger on one........nonetheless I do like the look and the added protection it offers so I'm probably going to install one on my Opti!

7. Member
    May be wrong here but I always thought the point of these were not to protect but to offer a low cost alternative to fix a chipped or broken skeg? Personally, I can't imagine bolting one of those on to a perfectly good motor.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Right, you only want this if your original skeg guard is chipped or torn off.....it is a drill on piece.
    At least we had 1987....

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    After investigating, I found you are right guys. You have to drill into the skeg. While I'd like to have one, I just can't make myself do any drilling.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    After investigating, I found you are right guys. You have to drill into the skeg. While I'd like to have one, I just can't make myself do any drilling.
    10/4 on that , hard to get past that one...... I’ve changed my mind!

11. Member
    It does nothing to prevent serious damage to the original skeg, its more of a scratch guard and as stated a replacement for a broken skeg.127-Optimized.JPG

126-Optimized-Optimized.JPG
    Last edited by Ba$$n; 04-18-2018 at 05:03 PM.

12. Member
    I dont post here often. Not knocking no ones product by no means. But by adding one of these it could cause more damage if one hit something the right way. Instead of a chip or portion of the skeg being broken off it would be more apt to break off flush where repair would be most likely be unrepairable. Yes most of us has insurance to cover this kind of mishap. Im just saying!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

13. Member
    I broke my skeg twice in the same boat cut idling at north Cedar creek lake. I had the first one welded and repaired. The nest time I purchase a ss skeg guard from Bass Pro at a lower price than I paid for the weld repair. It slides onto your broken skeg and is held on by drilling and installing 2 bolts. The guard is also filled with epoxy to help secure it. That was 22 years ago and it's still performing well for me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    I'm pretty sure it requires a couple of through holes to be drilled Bill, this has been one of the draw backs for me in regards to pulling the trigger on one........nonetheless I do like the look and the added protection it offers so I'm probably going to install one on my Opti!
    I used one for this purpose, on my previous boat. It worked great. I wouldn't drill holes in a perfectly goods keg, though.
    Craig Williams - Zeeland , Mi '​97 Bass Cat Jaguar / Evinrude 225

15. Member
    I put one on my motor that I use for saltwater fishing and it has been great. I didn't have any damage to the skeg but wanted to protect it from the oyster shell and it has done a great job.