Ultrex and DC Charger

On my 2017 721 I have a Ultrex, 3 27 series batteries for the trolling motor and a series 31 for cranking engine and the rest. I also have the Minnkota 4-bank charger (MK 460 PC) as well as an on-board alternator (MK 3DC). I have had one of my club tournament buddies saying that "it's going to damage your Ultrex" and then very mysteriously didn't say anything else. Has any of you ever heard of a potential problem between the Ultrex and an on-board alternator?

I would call Minn kota and ask. They recommend turning the power supply off to the TM when charging the batteries.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    I would call Minn kota and ask. They recommend turning the power supply off to the TM when charging the batteries.
    Always turn off the power. better safe than sorry.

4. Member
    Always do. Every single time religiously before plugging the power in.

5. Member
    So....turn off the foot pedal before cranking the outboard every time? Doesn’t seem practical. I got an ultrex last spring and I have a stealth one dc Charger and have not had any problems with any troller I’ve owned. Knock on wood lol. If you do call please post their recommendation. Thank you!

6. Member
    No, turning off the foot pedal, the power on the boat AND the trolling motor's breaker before plugging in the charger at the end of your fishing day. At least this is how I do it. Tried to call Minnkota and I got a busy signal.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibreathe2fish View Post
    No, turning off the foot pedal, the power on the boat AND the trolling motor's breaker before plugging in the charger at the end of your fishing day. At least this is how I do it. Tried to call Minnkota and I got a busy signal.
    If you just turn off the breaker to the trolling motor before you plug it in is all you have to do. The problem is with the AC charger not the DC charger. The DC charger is just transferring extra voltage to the trolling motor batteries while the big motor is running. The AC charger has charge cycles that could cause problems with any digital trolling motor.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

8. Member
    Sorry I thought the post was in regards to the dc charger hurting the ultrex when running the outboard without disconnecting TM first. I do always flip the breaker off before plugging in the charger at home.

9. Member
    I have started this post because as I said before, one of my fishing buddies mentioned a potential problem between the DC charger and Ultrex. Although I am positive there should not be any problem, I have tried unsuccessfully for the last couple of days to contact Minnkota just for my peace of mind. All I got was a busy signal. And also was curious if anybody on this board has ever heard/experienced any kind of issues between these two pieces of equipment.

10. Member
    I've been running a stealth with an ultrex for almost a year with zero problems. I kill the power with an on/off to charge on shore but throughout the day I dont. Love the stealth and the ultrex

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    I've been running a stealth with an ultrex for almost a year with zero problems. I kill the power with an on/off to charge on shore but throughout the day I dont. Love the stealth and the ultrex
    I have been using the Stealth 1 with a Fortrex on 2 boats over the last 8 years and never a problem. Don't see why the Ultrex would be any different.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    X2