Chatterbaits and Braid??

Been fishing chatterbaits this spring with good results.

I've been thinking of switching from mono to Power Pro 8/30 braid. Doing a little research, I see that some folks have went down from a MH action to M when they switched.

Ideas??

2. Member
    I use a Dobyns Extreme 743HP (medium heavy) with 30lb braid. Works fine for me.

I use straight pp, and med-hvy moderate-fast, works good for me
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I use straight pp, and med-hvy moderate-fast, works good for me
    x 2. I might step down to a medium if I didn’t have to deal with the toothy critter pike up here. I use 30lb braid

Same as above. I throw them on a discontinued Lucky Craft "medium/fast" with 50lb braid, but it's really a mh/mod-fast. They rated their actions as normal, fast, xfast, and xxfast, (equivalent to moderate, mod-fast, fast, xfast for other brands) and their power was understated pretty substantially. It's a rod designed for squarebills, but it's the best spinnerbait/swim jig/buzz bait/jerkbait/chatterbait rod I've ever handled (throwing all of the above on either braid or braid with a leader). Extremely versatile. I've managed to accumulate three of them and would get more if I could!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Thanks Guys... Spooled it up this evening and will give it a shot Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by XS-Skeet View Post
    Thanks Guys... Spooled it up this evening and will give it a shot Friday!
    I expect a report!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

I expect a report!!
    Well..... My buddy and myself hit Hartwell Friday afternoon and fished till dark. It was not a "hair on fire" type of trip, but we managed to sling a few in the boat!

The Power Pro 8/30 on a old "Bionic Blade IM8 MH" worked just fine. I will keep the braid on. Yes... you can feel the vibration from the jig a little better than on mono, but not enough to make any difference to me. Was throwing an original 1/2 Z-Man CB with a fluke Jr. paddle tail trailer and manged to pop 4 into the boat. Missed one with a crappy hook set, but that was on me... Not the setup..

Bottom line... it works...

9. Member
    The big thing for me when throwing a chatterbait on braid is to rip through grass.
    I fish upstate NY frequently and get bit 90% of the time when ripping the chatterbait through grass.
    Braid gives you the feeling and ability to rip through grass better than other lines I've tried.

So everyone seems to be using straight braid with no leader.
    I have always just used mono for the chatterbaits but picked up some braid today and plan to try it on that.
    I wasnt sure on a leader or not and looks like the majority dont use one.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

The Power Pro 8/30 on a old "Bionic Blade IM8 Next MH"
    If that is an original Bionic blade I LOVE that rod for chatterbaits. I've had it for the better part of 12 years. 7' MH. Not sure if it has a parabolic bend but the rod flexes deep into the blank playing fish. As for the braid, I use 50# Power Pro. No need to be shy about heavy braid around thick veg or nasty wood. Unless you are using spinning gear then the 8/30 is perfecto.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

If that is an original Bionic blade I LOVE that rod for chatterbaits.
    Yep... It's one of the "Originals", bought a couple of them and some Bionic Blade spinning rods in the mid 90's. They all have been a really great rods and all are still in service!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremskij View Post
    The big thing for me when throwing a chatterbait on braid is to rip through grass.
    I fish upstate NY frequently and get bit 90% of the time when ripping the chatterbait through grass.
    Braid gives you the feeling and ability to rip through grass better than other lines I've tried.
    ^^This. I love braid for being able to pop it and rip it to try and get the grass off of it. I fealt like with mono I had less feel to tell when it was just a little off and was harder for me to free it from the grass. With braid its pretty easy to tell if you have the finest little bit of grass on it and pop it to free it. I throw mine on a 7'9" fitzgerald bladed jig rod, but through them on just about any cheap 6'6" MH rod I could find and always had good luck.