Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Yes i know, the rep i talked to said there was no problem with cold starting.. ive talked to there tech dept. And there suppose to be testing and are getting back to me on this issue. That was 3 wks ago.. my battery is the new hp battery thats suppose to have a better starting profile. They need to get this figured out or im going to have to go a different route..seems like the older style batteries are not having this problem..
    i will say once i get the boat started the one battery will run everything i need it to all day without a problem..

2. Member
    Sorry did not mean to hijack this thread.. relion also recomended using a noco or similar jump start.

3. Member
    I used a NOCO 30 to start a Merc 150, but it was June.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

4. Member
    Google (Lithium starting battery cold weather problems) or something along those lines. You will find lots of issues, mostly with cars and motor cycles, but the same applies with boat starting lithium's, just boat starting lithium's batts are much larger in most cases.

Just the nature of lithium batteries, depending on the cells the manufacturer uses and chemistry can make a difference in freezing temp performance.

They just don't put out the current needed to start at freezing temps.

Lead acid also has this same issue, HENCE the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating!
    A 500CCA may start your 250hp during summer, and just click during cold freezing temps.

Some recommendations to warm the cells for battery starting, we as boaters do not have these options.

Running headlights, turning on air conditioner fan, and any accessories to pull current to warm cells slightly.

As boaters, we try to keep current at a minimum, LED nav lights, graphs, pumps all of these do not pull as much current as accessories a car has.

It is funny to say this, but instead of a Jump starter, you should do just the opposite and carry one of those handheld load testers, and pull maybe 15amp draw for a minute or so from the lithium battery during cold freezing temps. Seems counter intuitive, I know! LOL But may just do the trick.

Or even better, buy one of those 12volt window defrosters and put clamp leads on. Hook it to the battery while aiming the defroster at the battery for a couple minutes..WIN WIN!, just be careful of any ignition sources!!!

In some cases maybe running the trim up and down a couple times may do the job with everything turned on, may do the job.
    Last edited by moetorola; 04-23-2018 at 10:12 AM.

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Not that difficult to pull a lot of amps from a boat battery. The stall current on a jack plate is very high. And a power trim on a boat motor also draws high amps.

7. Member
    Sunday it was 41.. turned all the graphs on and ran the jack plate up and down a few times , it started but took 2 trys.. 41 is not that cold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12