Question Ok so we are going to plug holes

in an older Mercury Trophy 4 blade prop that Mercury no longer makes PVS plugs to fit.
    Prop is old but in great shape. I want to use it on new 4 stroke and need the vent holes closed.
    I have heard/read about JB Weld, ss welding, iron welding, bronze welding and some glues/epoxies.
    How best to fill those 4 holes that are approx. 9/16" in diameter? Thanks

2. Member
    I weld ss every day. That would be my first choice IF I needed a permanent fix.

3. Member
    Send it to Mark Croxton.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    in an older Mercury Trophy 4 blade prop that Mercury no longer makes PVS plugs to fit.
    Prop is old but in great shape. I want to use it on new 4 stroke and need the vent holes closed.
    I have heard/read about JB Weld, ss welding, iron welding, bronze welding and some glues/epoxies.
    How best to fill those 4 holes that are approx. 9/16" in diameter? Thanks
    I'm using a Yamaha 23m on my 2004 Stratos / Yamaha F150. I taped the outside of the vent holes and applied expoxy to the inside of the holes and then drilled a small hole in each vent and increased the size until I had the right amount of venting. That was 2004 and expoxy is still doing fine. I would expoxy the holes first and play with the venting, mine bogged on holeshot with no venting, think I ended up with 1/4 hole in each vent. My Turbo TXP has the PVS system and it also works best with the smallest PVS plugs. After you tune your set up, you can always send the prop to Mark and weld the holes shut if that's what you find works best for your set up.
    Last edited by Musky Mike; 04-17-2018 at 09:38 AM.

5. Member
    You can buy plastic plugs online for any size hole. Measure the hole ID and do a search!
    They will come in a press fit and with a little thinner to clean the carbon from the holes and a little pukie you can make'em stay!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

6. Member
    My SHO runs my 25 pitch Fury best with two holes open. I would run it with at least two open before you plug anything.