coloring braid...when, why, and how

I really love to fish braid, and I don't like attaching a mono or flourocarbon leader. For some applications where you're constantly retrieving the bait, like fishing a buzz bait, I don't think it matters. But there are other times where I wonder if coloring the braid would help me get more bites. I don't normally fish clear water or pressured lakes, if that matters. For those that do this, when do you color the braid (certain applications, certain water clarity) and how do you color it (do you color 1 foot of line, then skip a foot, then color another foot or do you color a full segment of line). Will a standard black sharpie work or does something else work better? Thanks!

2. Banned
    Black or dark green sharpie works for me. I get about three feet up

3. Banned
    To 'paint' the line: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Fitzg...e-FITZFBP.html

But I've been using this for a bit now and it doesn't bleed: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Fitzg...age-FFVBG.html

I've heard good things about that braid paint but haven't been willing to shell out the money for it when a big sharpie works and is easy to reapply. I've followed the advice of some pros, I believe KVD being one of them, and got one of the big sharpies with the chisel point then cut a notch into the point with an X-Acto knife. The notch just gives a place for the line to run through. Just color the first 3 feet or so of line.

The Fitzgerald line is new to me, though I've heard a ton of good things about the newish Vicious no-fade braid. That's another one I haven't been willing to shell out for though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. So here's a question for you guys...do you generally color the braid because it has lost it's original deep green coloring (assuming you're using that and not a hi-vis braid)? Because I did decide last year to try the Vicious no-fade braid and so the line still looks like new and is the dark green color. Would I still want/need to apply the marker or paint for this? Or do you generally just use that if the braid has lost its coloring and is looking light green or whitish in color?

You nailed it. I use it when line has lost its color and is turning lighter in color. The original dark green color is at least as good as black for remaining invisible in my mind, and is probably better.

I suppose the other time might be if you're using a high vis with no leader and want to color the end dark to cut down on the visibility. I personally only use the high vis if I'm also attaching a leader.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Banned
    Problem w/a Sharpie™ is the smell. Then that scent will 'leak'..

The Fitz Vursa won't bleed. I use the Blk. for Punching and I've had it on for over 1 yr. now (I got some early) and no color loss at all.

If You've already put the line through it's paces and it still looks 'good'.. then You're good to go. Remember w/braid when/if it does 'bleed' You can also "turn it around" This also gets rid of 'wind knots'. To save even more line and $$$ there is a knot that Mark J. Daniels ties and when done tying this knot, You're not left w/a long 'tag line'...

Hey Drew- Reads as if You've received a 'non-solicited review'(positive) on the Vicious™ "No Fade" so keep Your eyes peeled for when You find it 'On Sell'

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Black or dark green sharpie works for me. I get about three feet up
    This^^^^^^^^
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

Black or dark green Sharpie. Has worked for years on Sufix 832 Camo when needed. Mark about a foot of line.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    dont waste your time