New Boat! Need to get trailer weighed for registration

Hey guys, I just picked up my Tuffy 2100 from a guy in Minnesota. The SOS said I need to get the trailer weighed to get it registered. What's the easiest/closest way to get this done? I assume I need to launch the boat, have someone either take the boat out for a spin or get someone to bring the trailer to a scrap yard to get an official weight on their scales. Does anyone know of a spot near the LSC Harley Ensign launch that'll give me an official weight on the trailer?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    956 lbs
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Member
    Should have the info on a frame tag
    Please release me,let me go.

The VIN plate should have a “Max Gross Weight” and a “Max Load Capacity.” Subtract the two and you have the weight of your trailer.

If it requires weight from a certified scale then you need to remove the boat obviously. If you have someone you can trust to run it while you go weigh the empty trailer, that is the easiest way. If not, you can use boards and jack stands to support the boat at home while you weigh it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Call Tuffy they should know the weight.

6. Member
    Nice boat by the way!

7. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Call Tuffy they should know the weight.
    This is what I did when I bought my boat from a guy in Indiana.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSkeeter77 View Post
    This is what I did when I bought my boat from a guy in Indiana.

Did the SOS give you a hard time since it wasn't on an authorized weight slip? I know the trailer weight, it's just not official like they want. Thanks!

I got a letter from the trailer manufacturer with the vin and weight of the trailer last year when we brought our Checkmate home from Wisconsin. Sos said it had to be on company letterhead.

Easiest is to get the manufacturer of the trailer to send you the official weight. Short of that, put the boat in the water and go to a certified scale.

That being said, if you think it weighs 1000lbs (or whatever) just haul anything to a certified scale and get a slip that looks reasonably close. SOS will take the slip, but they have no way to know what you actually weighed because their rules are idiotic, just like government.

years ago, i moved from Indiana to MI. I scanned my IN registration and photoshopped some arbitrary (realistic) weight onto it. They took that. Seriously, how big a PITA it is to drop a boat in the water and weigh a trailer. SOS and their dumbass rules can suck it.

11. Member
    I bought my basscat from a guy in Indiana. Called basscat while I was at sos and they faxed a document within 10 minutes of calling them with the trailer weight. Give Tuffy a call and see if they can do something similar. Basscat makes their own trailers so maybe that is why it was so easy to get the document. It really is a stupid rule.

12. Member
    Thanks guys, I'll try a different SOS if they give me crap about it. Or I'll get some arts and crafts going and get the weight on my own.

The grain elevator in Lapeer does it. Lake nepessing isnt far away. SOS near by also
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

14. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by DubyaDee View Post
    Did the SOS give you a hard time since it wasn't on an authorized weight slip? I know the trailer weight, it's just not official like they want. Thanks!
    They emailed me a letter with all my trailer info on it as well as the weight. This was Skeeter.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

15. Member
    Get the manufacturer to provide the weight. The SOS has a book they can look up by MFG. However a lot of boat trailers are branded as the boat brand, and actually manufactured by a trailer company which is how they will be listed in the SOS book. I had to take my Triton Trailer to a truck stop without a boat and get a weigh slip. I later found out my trailer was manufactured by Marine Master, which would have been the easier rout. If you could weigh something of similar weight, you won't have the hassle a taking the boat off the trailer. The weigh slip doesn't say what they're weighing.
    -Matt

16. Member
    FYI, I put my boat in at Selfridge and ran up 94 to a truck stop with a Cat scale.
    Sunrise Store
    I-94 & Exit 266
    Smith Creek, MI 48074
    -Matt

17. Member
    I showed the guy at SOS a random chart online of trailer weights and he said that was good enough