Jig head choice.

I am new to jig fishing. Never had the patience. Want to give it a shot. Jig head choices can be overwhelming. Not sure what to get. I mainly fish wood and soft bottom. Every now again I will fish some rocks. Fish alot of boat docks. Which head would yall recommend? I am thinking the arkie head. Thanks!

That's probably the best all around option. Honorable mention to a bullet head...probably a little worse for dragging, a little better for swimming, a little worse for skipping, and a little better for coming through vegetation.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I've found a GRT jig to be very versatile has football look with arky characteristics.

4. Member
    The flat-eyed Arkie is very versatile jig.

5. Member
    Pro-Mega Structure Jig by Omega Custom Tackle. It’s a great all around jig!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    That's probably the best all around option. Honorable mention to a bullet head...probably a little worse for dragging, a little better for swimming, a little worse for skipping, and a little better for coming through vegetation.
    This answer X2. great answer.

7. Banned
    For the types of cover you're fishing, I'd choose either the Arky or round ball jig head. I primarily use the Arky for flipping wood and the round ball more for dragging but the both do good in any situation

8. Member
    This is the closest rendition of the original Terminator Pro’s Top Secret Jig I have found which are my personal favorite jigs of all time.

Head design is a hybrid of a Bullet & Arkie style with a recessed horizontal line tie. Goes through grass very well and stands up nicely around wood and rock with the right trailer. I also find them a good option for skipping and has a unique darting action for swimming too.

Best all round design IMHO. Doesn’t have to be this exact jig as there are others like it, just used this one as an example to give you a visual of the head design.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/DL_Ta...ge-DLADVJ.html

9. Member
    Thanks guys. Headed over to the tackle store and pick up a couple. My birthday tomorrow and I get to fish all day!

10. Member
    I am a firm believer in three jighead types. Football for rocks, bullet for grass/swimming, arkie for about everything else. The only time I use anything else is in heavy wood cover, I like the brushpuppy style head from lure parts online, but the difference over the arkie isn't that significant. For the description of what you like to fish, arkie seems like the best all around choice.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

In my opinion if you are trying to gain confidence in using a jig I would start with a small ball head finesse jig. like the eakins jig. this will get you more bites and youll gain confidence in the technique. You really don't have to get crazy with head design.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

12. Member
    ^eakins jig is what got me started, and my favorite type now is an arkie bullet hybrid. flipping laydowns in current most often.